Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 04:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LRScott
Have you tested to see if you are getting spark or fuel? The crank shaft position sensor, with my experience on GEMS engines, at least, does not cause the vehicle to not start. Smell your exhaust for fuel and look at a spark plug (with your EFI fuse disconnected) and see if its doing anything. Doing it in the dark really helps btw.

Are you saying that if you pull a spark plug, you should have the EFI fuse out? I am new to Discovery ownership and just want to be sure I understand your advice. Thanks.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can also go to AutoZone and use their scanner for FREE! I have done that a few times with the Ford Explorer we use to have. Luckily I have nbot had a check engine light on my Discovery yet.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:51 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LRScott
Have you tested to see if you are getting spark or fuel? The crank shaft position sensor, with my experience on GEMS engines, at least, does not cause the vehicle to not start. Smell your exhaust for fuel and look at a spark plug (with your EFI fuse disconnected) and see if its doing anything. Doing it in the dark really helps btw.
Did you mean camshaft sensor?

The rave states the crank pos sensor will cause no start as did both of my LR's

The cam sensor will not, but will trip the engine light

luck,greg

Old 05-14-2010, 10:49 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by airisgood01
I have a 1996 Land Rover Discovery. I believe that it is my camshaft position sensor that is not working. I have installed a new Crankshaft, and checked everything else that could be the problem. (any other suggestions on what could be the problem?)
How do you check the Camshaft Position Sensor reading for my 1996 Land Rover Discovery?

How do you preform a bench test on the Camshaft Position Sensor?

PS. As of now, there is no ignition spark, no ground signal or injector pulse, but there is power.

Also, if you know a place to buy a (used or new) Camshaft position sensor for a 1996 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY 4.0, please let me know. The part number on my old Camshaft sensor is #ERR 6170.
Sometimes to much information on here gets confusing. Check to see if you have spark. Check the fuel pump by turning the key on and listen for it (back of the vehicle but you will here it run for a couple seconds).Check the fuses that control engine computers/fuel. Check the inertia switch on the passenger side fenderwell. Once you have done that try to get the code downloaded. Ask all you friends they may have a scanner to do it. Then post what you found on here or e-mail me.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jbriggs
Sometimes to much information on here gets confusing. Check to see if you have spark. Check the fuel pump by turning the key on and listen for it (back of the vehicle but you will here it run for a couple seconds).Check the fuses that control engine computers/fuel. Check the inertia switch on the passenger side fenderwell. Once you have done that try to get the code downloaded. Ask all you friends they may have a scanner to do it. Then post what you found on here or e-mail me.

Good thoughts, I think the inertia switch causes the flashers to flash, tho'

I'm trying to get the poster to read the 1-1/2 pages of sensor symptoms to end some potential confusion

The crank position sensor presents as a intermittant HOT RESTART problem and degrades to no start if ignored over time.

luck,greg

Old 05-15-2010, 03:25 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Cam sensors rarely ever fail and when they do, the engine will still start. What fault codes do you have?
My money is on your new crank sensor, either bad or damaged while being installed cause it is the only thing that can shut of the fuel and spark at the same time.
By the way, did you try starting it with starter fluid/carb spray?
completely wrong, On a gems they will not start. Had a bad wire on mine and it wouldn't start until it got fixed.

In fact any LR without a cam sensor will not start.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:27 PM
TReK

I have seen water get into the GEMs causing the code and a no start as well.

The vehicle had tons of leaves in it and the water from the rain cause a no start in the ecu.

when the cam shaft sensor fails while driving it will substitute a value anyway and cause the vehicle to throw a light.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Bad/corroded ECU.
Either a wire harness or corrosion inside the ECU is your problem.
We had a guy in Guatemala awhile back with this problem, hot, super humid, rains for 6 months of the year and his truck had no spark, no fuel delivery but good fuel pressure at the fuel rail.
Pulled the ECU and it was full of water, drained, dried, cleaned up, truck fired right up.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:56 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or it could be this. Hey lets bombard this post with information and see if he can sort it out!!!! PM me airisgood01.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
F-out Discovery.PDF (104.1 KB, 440 views)
Old 05-16-2010, 12:01 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by jbriggs
Or it could be this. Hey lets bombard this post with information and see if he can sort it out!!!! PM me airisgood01.
obviously you didn't read the bulletin. Its for 99 Gems only.

This is a 96.

Quick Reply: Camshaft Position Sensor