Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CannibalV8 - Buyer beware!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 04:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
What's crazy is Darton is in San Diego, CA but has an exclusive contrast with Turner so they won't sell locally!
Dang, Turner must push out some serious volume of re-man blocks for Darton to accept that.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes, including the sleeves.

Don't know the make/brand. but fine so far after 20K miles, including two 2,000 mile road trips to Colorado and back.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:47 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BEWARE! Stay away from anything related to Car Cannibal. How they are still in business is beyond me. Check their Better Business Bureau rating - it has been an F since at least 2010. I bought a new 4.6 engine and transmission there in 2010. I had them do the engine and tranny swap because they said this would cover installation and all warranties 100%. The two week job they promised ended up taking 9 months. That was only the beginning of my problems. When I finally got my truck back the tranny went out within 2000 miles when I was driving through the middle of New Mexico. I had a big hassle with CC over replacing the transmission and finally, after 6 months, they picked up the vehicle which was still sitting in NM and took it to their shop in OKC. It then took 3 and a half more years to get them to fix it and in running order where I could pick it up. Yes, this was a 4 year ordeal that took legal intervention. They had every excuse in the world for not getting my truck fixed in a reasonable amount of time and 99% of that time they would not answer the phone or would hang up when me or my attorney contacted them. My vehicle was basically held hostage for 4 years. During my battle with them I found there were 8 other customers in the same situation. They went through numerous techs/mechanics during this time and did more damage to my vehicle than they did anything good. They broke the fascia on the dash, broke the speedometer, screwed up the driving lights wiring, broke buttons and lid on the center console. Trying to install my new transmission they twice broke the tailshaft and had delays because of it. They also broke the transfer case housing and one ear off of it, rendering it unusable. They then installed a salvage transfer case that lasted about 1000 miles, after I finally got the truck back. The verdict on the failed transmission was that it overheated on the highway and was their fault. This was because when I had them put the new engine in they were so supposed to install a new/rebuilt radiator that I paid for, but instead they installed a salvage yard radiator that was apparently in worse condition than my original. They were with deceptive trade practices over that. They also spliced transmission cooling lines that were too small that contributed to the overheating. When I got the truck back I could not get the check engine light to go off. Upon inspection the first thing that was found was that one of the O2 sensors were missing, in it's place was BMW lug nut and wheel stud screwed into the O2 sensor bung! When this was fixed the CEL still remained on - then we found that the engine wiring harness was put on backwards - O2 sensors on the right were hooked to the left connectors and visa versa - this completely freaked out the engine ECU and it also damaged the ECU, which had to be replaced. Another point of incompetence was that the ECU had never been reset for a 4.6 engine. Next came the sticking valve and a lot of cylinder head clattering. I took it to my LR master tech (a real LR tech, not what CarCaniibal was using as a tech) and first thing he said was that he didn't believe that it's a remanufactured engine, but instead one that CC just installed from their salvage yard. Long story short, I've had my Disco back for 2 years, it's got 12k miles on the new engine CC sold me and I've had nothing but problems. I finally checked the compression on the engine and the readings are all over the place with 2 cylinders below 90 PSI and 3 others below 100 - this on an engine with 12k miles. I think my tech was right when he suspected they sold me a salvage engine - which was supposed to be 4.6 with performance cam. We're about to take this engine apart and get to the bottom of this. I suspect it is a 4.0 salvage engine and does not have a performance cam. Do yourself a favor and stay away from anything related to Car Cannibal. They are incompetent frauds. Do a little research and you will find they have made the news on several occasions for stories like mine. The easiest thing to do is just check their BBB rating of "F". Wish I would have done this before wasting $8400 plus legal fees and 7 years of trouble dealing with these clowns.

Last edited by discodjs; 08-01-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:47 AM
Mudding
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Holy hell amazing

Old 08-01-2017, 09:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

7 years and going: what a nightmare. Makes my 4-5 month coil issue seem trivial. Sorry I even put it in the same category.

Son and I rebuilt a slipped sleeve 4.6 for all of $2,500 ($1,500 of it for sleeves and machining).

20,000 miles so far and no issues, including a couple of 2,500 mile round trips from Texas to Colorado.

I guess you take more care when it's your vehicle and you do it yourself.

You can buy a new plug-and-play L3 motor with 500HP for like $6,000, so don't understand where all that money went.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:17 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by austinlandroverbill
7 years and going: what a nightmare. Makes my 4-5 month coil issue seem trivial. Sorry I even put it in the same category.

Son and I rebuilt a slipped sleeve 4.6 for all of $2,500 ($1,500 of it for sleeves and machining).

20,000 miles so far and no issues, including a couple of 2,500 mile round trips from Texas to Colorado.

I guess you take more care when it's your vehicle and you do it yourself.

You can buy a new plug-and-play L3 motor with 500HP for like $6,000, so don't understand where all that money went.
$6000 for the "remanufactured" 4.6 engine. $2000 for the new transmission. About $400 to install the performance cam. I didn't even include the $2000 or so for labor to swap the 4.0 engine with the new 4.6L. And then another $1500 for a second mechanic (not CC's to fix what the CC mechanic screwed up).

Bill, tell me about the L3 motor. Is it the 4.4 L? I'm going to replace this piece of trash Car Cannibal sold me. Was thinking about doing a conversion to the LR 4.4 used in the L3 and some Range Rover sports. Don't know what I might get into as far as bolting to my existing transmission. Will current bell housing on the ZF tranny match up or do I need a new bell housing?

Old 08-01-2017, 01:01 PM
TReK
Received 761 Likes on 629 Posts

I think that Car Cannibal is a different company from Cannibal V8.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

They are one and the same.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:12 PM
TReK
Received 761 Likes on 629 Posts

Hmmm. They have different phone numbers and locations on their two different websites. Add intentional deception to their actions?

Old 08-02-2017, 07:49 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Well so far my Cannibal V8 has treated me just fine. I guess a few bad apples can spoil the bunch but I could not be happier with my installation 4yrs ago...yes it was expensive and now there are crate motor Ford/Chevy options for less $. But so far I am a happy camper. Thanks Steve for a bulletproof build on mine. David Frankel

Quick Reply: CannibalV8 - Buyer beware!!