Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't remove crankshaft pulley - have bolt off

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 03:36 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Can't remove crankshaft pulley - have bolt off

Hey guys so the past couple weeks I had to take a hiatus from the rover due to work. Back on it now, and trying to piece back together where I'm at.

Gotta get the front cover off.

I stuck a 2x2" block between a crankshaft counterweight and got the nut/bolt off with relative ease. I thought the pulley would then just slide off -- but no dice. I pb-blasted it but still nothing. It's REALLY on there and seems more than just "stuck" from rust or whatever. Tried wedging a breaker bar as well between the cover and pulley but didn't want to pull too hard

What am I missing?

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 07-24-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
What am I missing?
Either the LR spec "tool" or similar jury rigged puller/helper or you need to wait for PB or other penetrate to do it's thing. A few strategic hits by a dead blow or ball-peen hammer may help to break bond. Rust never sleeps and may take several days of treatment. If severely rusted/seized a puller may still be required. Many specialized tools are sold to make mechs life easier and/or prevent hiccups such as yours.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I did this twice a couple months ago. Yeah, go for one of those pullers. Pretty cheap on Amazon, I actually got one before I started the job but never needed it because mine came right off.

Scotty Kilmer has a great video on using one, not to mention the old crankshaft pulley bolt removal trick.

Perhaps the bolt removal trick, and the force of cranking the engine to release the bolt, is what made my pulley so easy to come off?

By the way, if you plan to work on this Landie a long time, get an impact drill. I picked up a DeWalt, 2 batteries and a huge impact socket set and let me tell you, it's changed my life. So much time saved. I torque everything to spec, it's just great for removal and for threading in bolts fast. So much sweat, frustration and tugging gone. And all those pulley bolts now come RIGHT off, in like one second.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:45 PM
Pro Wrench

Ah, it didn't occur to me to use a puller tool since rave only mentions the special tool for taking the nut off.

Which tool did you buy? This one looks good? https://www.amazon.com/OEM-Tools-270...+pulley+puller

What's the thread size for the two small bolts on the pulley?

Thanks for the tip on an impact drill. Sounds like a good idea.

And is it bad that I turned the engine counter clockwise a revolution or two?

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 07-24-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
Ah, it didn't occur to me to use a puller tool since rave only mentions the special tool for taking the nut off.
I stand corrected after looking again. Thanks. The LR tool is apparently only to prevent rotation to assist removal of bolt and not a puller.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:34 AM
Pro Wrench

Got it off using this one from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/HFS-Pcs-Harmo...alancer+puller

Did the job I guess, nothing special.

Question... the rubber in the harmonic balancer has cracked quite a bit all around. Is this grounds for replacement? They are not cheap... also I've read that they are balanced specific to your crankshaft/flywheel/etc?