Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car leans to the left....

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoWest
Struts are used on everything from current 4wd range Rovers (air struts) to mid engine Porsche boxsters to front engine rwd bmws. They are never part of a solid axle suspension design. Although originally used primarily for front suspension assembly, they are now used on the rear of many vehicles as well. The primary difference between the coilover shock and coilover strut is that the strut actually becomes a structural member of the suspension, many times replacing all upper control arms altogether. Without the strut, the spindle would be completely unsupprted from the top as it bolts only to the strut for upper lateral support, as opposed to a coilover shock which has no structural bearing on the location of any other components of the suspension. That's why struts are always more heavy duty than a comparable coilover shock, they have to handle a lot.

Anyway, x2 on broken or saggy springs.
Smart ***.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Smart ***.
Yeah that was originally a one line reply but it got out of hand

Old 09-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

At your mileage you need to replace the factory coils and shocks, it is obvious that a coil has failed assuming you don't have SLS, rear air suspension.
Best thing to do is go to Lucky 8 and buy a OME medium duty set of springs with their HD shocks and a new stabilizer. Once installed you will be a very happy camper.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Without checking (until tomorrow) - I am pretty sure to positive that I have SRS in the rears.

I have not had the rear tires off since owning the car - but I remember seeing what looked like the air pump box under the passangers door whilst I spend countless hours trying to get all the bolts back onto the transmission after reinstalling the engine.

So if I do have SRS - then what??

Thanks

Old 09-10-2010, 10:45 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eak69
Without checking (until tomorrow) - I am pretty sure to positive that I have SRS in the rears.

I have not had the rear tires off since owning the car - but I remember seeing what looked like the air pump box under the passangers door whilst I spend countless hours trying to get all the bolts back onto the transmission after reinstalling the engine.

Thanks
You'll need to mess with finding out if the bag is bad or the sensor bracket is bent and out of adjustment, and replace/adjust the offending parts. Or do the proper thing and dispose of the rear airbag suspension and replace it with a coil spring upgrade kit that is readily availalbe from the rover parts suppliers. Then you'll have no more worries with the airbags, the compressor, the sensors, etc.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:54 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Eak69

Thanks
Minor correction...
SRS = air bags that save your ***
SLS = air bags that lift your ***
Sorry I could not resist

Old 09-11-2010, 07:10 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

How long have you owned that truck, and you don't know if you have SLS???
That control box you saw on the passengers side is for ACE, I'll let you figure that one out, might want to read your owners manual a couple of times, cover to cover so you know what you have been driving for the last many years, then you can tell us what you have and not be guessing so we in turn can help you.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
How long have you owned that truck, and you don't know if you have SLS???
Literally 2 weeks... if that.