Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CDL kit Discussion [Center Locking Differential]

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 03:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it was the solenoid preventing me getting low range. So I removed the pin and now I have Hi/Low.........Now I have lost some of my gauges and lights......AHHHHH.... the wire came off the solenoid and so I unplugged the lead? At least when i re installed the tunnel plate and shifter I only put 4 rivets in it.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:40 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bballjames
Also make sure to use RTV. The first time I installed my CDL shifter, I didn't really do a good job of sealing all the way around. It was noisy. And hot air came up. Later, I had to replace my CDL detection switch. So the second time I reinstalled the shifter plate I made sure to put a good coat of RTV all the way around. Very quiet and no air. In fact it is even quieter than before I did my CDL install.
Great point about the RTV!!! I'll make sure to seal it up well...

Old 05-29-2013, 08:50 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well here is what I have now lost, Speedo, CDL indicator light, HI/Low indicator (not sure I ever had it though), I have the tack and TC light as well as oil, engine service. opened up the tunnel again but can't see anything obvious.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:49 AM
Mudding

I have my '99 DII on the lift, to take the front drive shaft out. I would like to be able to take the truck off, so we can use it... where is the CDL nipple located? About three of us have loked the thing over and can't find what we don't know.

Thanks!
hoop

Old 05-29-2013, 10:00 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

A couple of inches back from the front output flange at about 2 o'clock you'll feel a threaded stud coming straight up out of the front output assembly. That's the "nipple."

Old 05-29-2013, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

what he said

Attached Thumbnails CDL kit Discussion [Center Locking Differential]-zjtah.jpg  
Old 05-29-2013, 10:43 AM
Mudding

Interesting.... my '99 does not have "a nipple" or anything else up there!

Is there any problem with me driving it off the lift, while I have the shaft out getting rebuilt?

Old 05-29-2013, 11:15 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iambhooper
Interesting.... my '99 does not have "a nipple" or anything else up there!

Is there any problem with me driving it off the lift, while I have the shaft out getting rebuilt?
If you don't have a CDL then you cannot drive it with the shaft out. The CDL must be engaged to drive it in 2 wheel drive.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:25 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by bballjames
If you don't have a CDL then you cannot drive it with the shaft out. The CDL must be engaged to drive it in 2 wheel drive.
I thought '99's came with a CDL? I don't get why mine doesn't have it. Anyway, the drive shaft had one nipple, but had never been greased. The U joint's were shot, so I ordered a new one from Driveshaft Power for $250, as I couldn't find a local shop willing to tackle a Rover shaft.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:56 PM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by iambhooper
I thought '99's came with a CDL? I don't get why mine doesn't have it. Anyway, the drive shaft had one nipple, but had never been greased. The U joint's were shot, so I ordered a new one from Driveshaft Power for $250, as I couldn't find a local shop willing to tackle a Rover shaft.
The '99's did come with the nipple.

It could very well be that the transfer case was changed at some time prior to your purchase of the truck.

The original driveshaft had a zerk fitting on the front u-joint from the factory. It's the two in the back that are typically the problem because they don't have zerks and are not serviceable.

Quick Reply: CDL kit Discussion [Center Locking Differential]