Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed Coil Packs and Wires, Now it Won't Run

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 05:29 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Changed Coil Packs and Wires, Now it Won't Run

Changed, my coil packs and Wires. It was kind of a pain but was excited to get it finished. Tried to start it and it would sputter and die. If I kept trying eventually it would rev high sputter back fire and die.... I verified the spark plug positions 3 times and even replaced the new coil packs with the old ones, same symptoms. I also made sure the coil packs were plugged into their leads and connectors snugly. I am almost wondering if I damaged some wiring while working on it, but I wouldn't know who to test the coil pack connectors themselves. Prior to all this the rig ran great, just had an occasional misfire and figured it was time to service it since it has been a long time, boy am I regretting it... Guess who gets to Uber to work tomorrow...

Appreciate any help you guys.

Old 12-21-2020, 06:25 AM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by LRScott
Changed, my coil packs and Wires. It was kind of a pain but was excited to get it finished. Tried to start it and it would sputter and die. If I kept trying eventually it would rev high sputter back fire and die.... I verified the spark plug positions 3 times and even replaced the new coil packs with the old ones, same symptoms. I also made sure the coil packs were plugged into their leads and connectors snugly. I am almost wondering if I damaged some wiring while working on it, but I wouldn't know who to test the coil pack connectors themselves. Prior to all this the rig ran great, just had an occasional misfire and figured it was time to service it since it has been a long time, boy am I regretting it... Guess who gets to Uber to work tomorrow...

Appreciate any help you guys.

i did the same thing, trust me its easy to get those wires mixed up, i would double check the wiring is going to the correct coil pack and wiring to each spark plug from the correct coil pack location, look up the firing order picture online and i bet thats your problem, unless you removed the intake and didnt put things back properly.

Old 12-21-2020, 06:30 AM
Pro Wrench

I really hope that's all it is. I'll feel like an idiot having spent 12+ hours on this "straight forward" preventative maintenance. I did remove the intake. I have secondary air injection and believe me, it's next to impossible to reach the coil packs and plugs back there without removing it... Which is also why I think maybe I damaged some wiring. Also, it produces no codes, doesn't stay running long enough to generate them from the looks of things.

Old 12-21-2020, 06:36 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

I hate to say it but slowly check everything around the engine a 4th time.
I know Disco 2 owners who can knock out a complete top end rebuild in 4-6 hours. It took me 2 weeks to do meticulously complete my top end rebuild and I was able to fire up the engine on the first start.
Just take your time with it.

Old 12-21-2020, 02:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Imgage on right is from sitting in the drivers seat, image on left from front of engine.

Last edited by The Deputy; 12-21-2020 at 02:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by The Deputy:
mollusc (12-21-2020), nashvegas (12-21-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 11:05 PM
Pro Wrench

So I followed the diagrams I found to the T. I uploaded a video to show the coil packs with the plugs installed per the instructions I've seen. I even bought new wires just incase the NGK's I received were defective. Same exact problem... Any ideas? Videos are shown below:

Old 12-22-2020, 06:32 AM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

did you yank or damage the connectors that plug into coils at all ?

Old 12-22-2020, 09:17 AM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

If you've checked and re-checked the ignition leads (and are sure that wire 1 goes to plug 1 at the front left of the vehicle, plug 2 is front right, etc.) then I would be checking for loose electrical connections at the coil packs, at the MAF, at the TPS, and the various valves on the driver's side valve cover. After that, check for vacuum leaks, but it should run better than how it is before you get to that point.

Old 12-22-2020, 11:18 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Yeah, pretty weird. If you've checked and rechecked wiring/coil packs and they are correct...it's like you damaged or left something disconnected. Maybe the TPS (throttle positioning sensor)?..which should set a code though. It's really hard to tell. Might have snagged the injector harness, pinched/crushed it, while installing intake? I'd imagine it would at least start with a vacuum leak. Face it, it ran when you brought it in...but now it doesn't....somewhere along the line...you either missed something or broke something or...?

It's probably something simple...and we're just missing it. Me, I'd go back to those coil packs and wires and check them one more time. There is a fuse in the drivers compartment fuse box for the coil packs (#23...#13?...not sure off the top of my head).

Old 12-22-2020, 04:51 PM
Pro Wrench

I've verified it again...Inspected heavily for any damage to the connectors. I also purchased a spark plug tester and every cylinder is receiving spark. There are no codes to indicate a coil pack or injector problem. Still no change, my dad suggested reversing the plugs on the coil packs to see if that changes anything... I'm a little apprehensive in doing that though.

Quick Reply: Changed Coil Packs and Wires, Now it Won't Run