Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed Coil Packs and Wires, Now it Won't Run

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 05:15 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LRScott
I've verified it again...
You verified spark, get some quick start spray it in the air intake just a little bit then start her up see if she goes.

This will verify if it's an issue with your injectors. Could also be a vacuum leak.

Just to be sure the truck is turning over idles for a second and dies out??

The following users liked this post:
LRScott (12-27-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 05:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, it starts, idles like crap and then stalls. Good idea, I'll go get some starter spray and report back.

Old 12-22-2020, 05:24 PM
Drifting

Just saw your video I'm betting on a vacuum leak have someone crank it and spray the lines with some break clean or quick start. If it idles up then there's something loose or not tight

Did you clean the intake gasket surfaces and use a new gasket?

Of course it's speculation without seeing it.

The following users liked this post:
LRScott (12-27-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 05:26 PM
Drifting

Oh!! Before you go shooting **** in there check if the plugs smell like gas. They should be fowled to hell running like that

Old 12-22-2020, 05:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very heavy smell of gas, and it backfires really badly after running for a few seconds.

Old 12-22-2020, 07:37 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by LRScott
Very heavy smell of gas, and it backfires really badly after running for a few seconds.
If the plugs smell like gas you're getting fuel, if you checked the spark with a spark tester you're getting spark.

Change the plugs or clean them heavily, check over all your vacuum and secondary air lines, did you also clean and change the intake gasket?

Old 12-22-2020, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

In the video it sounded like cylinders firing at the wrong time. I heard backfiring and popping which normally happens when a wire or wires are on the wrong bank. Bank 1 1,3,5,7 = Drivers Side Bank 2 2,4,6,8 = Passenger side standing at the bonnet looking toward the engine.

With a MAF unplugged it will run normal on the cylinders but won't idle. TPS it would still wanna run. Vacuum leak would cause it to not wanna idle. Coil pack wiring shouldn't be able to be swapped around as the wire to Bank 1 is pretty short in the OEM loom and dumps out right at the coil pack with maybe 2-3inch pigtail. Bank 2 has a longer lead, but it would still be hard to mix em up. IAC fully connected? Purge Control Valve with black harness plug & SAI solenoid valve with grey harness plug (have seen those 2 mixed up a lot). Did the upper intake sit down nicely on the two dowel pins? It should basically drop into place. It could be sucking air/leaking air from that gasket if it's not sitting properly. I have had zero problems reusing the metal gasket for the upper intake manifold on Bosch engines.

Old 12-22-2020, 08:03 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Best4x4
IAC fully connected? Purge Control Valve with black harness plug & SAI solenoid valve with grey harness plug (have seen those 2 mixed up a lot).

I have had zero problems reusing the metal gasket for the upper intake manifold on Bosch engines.
I was just thinking the IAC, I replaced one recently.
stupid question Have you tried revving it on startup scott?

I was advised in the past not to reuse it, but I suppose if people have it's not an issue. Lot of gunk came off mine.

Old 12-22-2020, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I've only replaced maybe 2 IAC's on Bosch P38/D2's. Usually a good cleaning will get it rotating freely and you're good to go.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Maybe try disconnecting the battery for a few mins to clear any learned running conditions? Just a shot in the dark.

Quick Reply: Changed Coil Packs and Wires, Now it Won't Run