Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed Coil Packs and Wires, Now it Won't Run

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 05:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Maybe push the inertia switch on firewall? Just a wild a** guess at this point.

Old 12-23-2020, 07:54 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Update... So it runs now. Idles poorly and will stumble and quit unless I hold the pedal down a little. It starts to rumble at 1k rpm and below. As far as I can see, everything is connected and there is no damage or vacuum leaks. I do not think it is the IAC. I had one go out on a BMW and the symptoms are a lot more mild. I think I might need to replace the coils again since I'm using the old ones... I won't use the aftermarket ones I have, and will order some OEMs. I have a date scheduled with the mechanic on the 5th of January, so I might have them do it... So tired of working on this thing... I appreciate all the help though, lots of good info.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I've used plenty of aftermarket coils with zero issues. It sounds like a MAF sensor to me if it won't maintain an idlw and stumbles and wants to quit.

Old 12-24-2020, 06:49 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

I will say, I'm not sure if this is still the case, but a few years ago one of the first results on google images for a plug wire diagram was incorrect.

Another idea, are both coils plugged into the harness good? My wife's disco had one of the coils come unplugged once. It acted just like you're describing cause it was only running on four cylinders.

Edit: after listening to the video I definitely feel you got the firing order wrong. Don't run it any more or you're going to kill something.

Last edited by Alex_M; 12-24-2020 at 06:52 AM.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:45 AM
TReK
Received 786 Likes on 653 Posts

So I hate to bang on about something that seems to have already been covered, but I watched one of your videos again and I'm wondering if one of your information sources may be sending you astray. I took a screen capture.
The printed list of locations for the coil wires says that cylinders 1-3-5-7 are on the left bank of the engine. This is correct if you are sitting in the driver's seat. From the front of the vehicle, cylinder 1 is the first cylinder in the right hand bank.
The wiring match-ups written below that are correct, and your wires labels seem to be accurate, but confusingly the paper lists them from the view from the front of the engine. The connections that it says for "right side coil pack" are NOT for the right coil as it's sitting on the table.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by mollusc
So I hate to bang on about something that seems to have already been covered, but I watched one of your videos again and I'm wondering if one of your information sources may be sending you astray. I took a screen capture.
The printed list of locations for the coil wires says that cylinders 1-3-5-7 are on the left bank of the engine. This is correct if you are sitting in the driver's seat. From the front of the vehicle, cylinder 1 is the first cylinder in the right hand bank.
The wiring match-ups written below that are correct, and your wires labels seem to be accurate, but confusingly the paper lists them from the view from the front of the engine. The connections that it says for "right side coil pack" are NOT for the right coil as it's sitting on the table.
I was wondering the same after watching the video this morning. I was just hoping the wires weren't sitting oriented towards the cylinders, but just happened to be how they were sat down.

Old 12-24-2020, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

This is how they should be, follow this image & you'll have them correct.

Old 12-25-2020, 05:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I got my Christmas wish... Yesterday, I put in new spark plugs, wires, and coil packs again... Looked at diagrams and confirmed proper placement 5 times. Fired it up and it still ran like crap as it does in the video I posted. Very discouraged I decided that on the 26th to transport it to the mechanic. Today I was puttering around the garage waiting for family to show up for Dinner and decided to mess with the disco some more. While it was running, I decided to tighten down the intake manifold and I had a Clark Griswold moment when all of a sudden, she started to purr like a kitten, smoothed out and idles beautifully, no backfires nothing. I was ecstatic, I came inside and I'm not joking, the song 'oh come all yee faithful" was playing on the stereo, high fives all around etc... . I appreciate the help with this, a lot of good information on here. Maybe post this will help someone in my shoes later down the road.

To Future DIYers:
DON'T TEST RUN THE ENGINE WITHOUT BOLTING DOWN THE INTAKE MANIFOLD FIRST!!!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (12-25-2020)
Old 12-25-2020, 11:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

Glad you sorted it out.

The following 2 users liked this post by JUKE179r:
Best4x4 (12-26-2020), LRScott (12-27-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 03:13 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Like they say..."if you don't know where to start, go back to the beginning."

First and most important aspect of making repairs...double check your work...all of it.

Glad you found the issue.

Quick Reply: Changed Coil Packs and Wires, Now it Won't Run