Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed crankshaft position sensor, no start

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 05:27 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed crankshaft position sensor, no start

Background:

My 04 disco stalled out at the gas station. Got it started, stalled out on the way home, got it started and parked it. Researched symptoms, sounded like the crankshaft position sensor.

Just got done swapping it out for a new one (that was not fun), but now I get nothing. No crank as to I was at least getting that before. I heard a *click* when putting the new one into the harness, got the spacers on right and everything is in place.

Pretty disappointing after busting my hands up trying to get that POS in.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:24 AM
4wd Low

bump?

Old 10-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Mudding

is your battery dead?if not start checking fuses

Old 10-09-2010, 03:44 PM
4wd Low
Default Solved

So, I feel kind of stupid now. At first I was thinking that maybe the new cps was just a bad one. I took it off and reinstalled the old one. Went to start it and everything was dead. So I jumped it, and it started. Took the old one off, put the new one back on and it started right up.

Runs like a champ again, just did a road test.

Tell you what though, I got pretty good taking that cps on and off since I did it 4 times. I could probably do the whole repair in 15 min now.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:02 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Glad to hear you got it running again. Nagging question though: If, in the end, a jump start was all that it took to get started... what caused the battery to run down? Original battery? Is the alternator putting out the correct voltage and amperage?

Old 10-09-2010, 05:08 PM
4wd Low

Yea, I thought that was kind of weird also. It had been sitting for two weeks before I started working on it, so I was thinking that maybe that had something to do with it. I'm admittedly very novice when it comes to working on vehicles, and this was easily the most intensive thing I have ever done.

The battery is only a year old and that's the first time it's drained like that, so I honestly have no idea why it went down.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

OK. I think things are beginning to make sense now. Died at the gas station, it restarted, died on the way home, got it restarted, then it sat for 2 weeks before you replaced the crank sensor, correct? When you got home and parked it, did you lock the doors? If so, just the alarm being armed for two weeks might have drained the battery. Depending on how far you live from the gas station, and how many times you tried to start it both at the station, and when it died on the way home, might have lowered battery voltage, and the alternator might not have had time to recharge it before you parked it for two weeks. If the alarm was armed, this further pulled down the battery.

I would venture to guess that no permanent damage has been done to the battery. Now that it's running correctly, the battery should remained charged through driving.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:15 PM
1st Gear
Default crank position sensor QUESTION

My LR was not starting either and we could not figure out the fault...after a diagnosis test, I got this :MASS OR VOLUME AIR FLOW CIRCUIT, LOW INPUT. I was told it was the cranck position sensor... where is it located, though?

Old 10-09-2010, 06:24 PM
4wd Low

Haha, yup, that's pretty much exactly what happened. I tried to be careful not to crank it too much after it wouldn't start so as to not do any more damage to it, but I definitely gave it a good share of tries (was at the gas station for 5 hours, it's 2 miles from home).

I live in an apt complex, so once I made it home I parked it, locked the doors and figured out what was wrong.

Thanks for the replies, even though that was a serious PITA I'm glad I did it myself, gave me some much needed confidence for doing some repairs myself.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:28 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by LR DISCOVERY II
My LR was not starting either and we could not figure out the fault...after a diagnosis test, I got this :MASS OR VOLUME AIR FLOW CIRCUIT, LOW INPUT. I was told it was the cranck position sensor... where is it located, though?
I used this thread to guide me, it was extremely helpful:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...osition+sensor