Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaned TB per instructions, now engine is locked

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoWest
I blew my engine shortly after following those instructions to use the whole can, it has cost me thousands.
Cleaning your t-body did not cause your engine to blow up.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:20 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
Some of those cans are 32 ounces.

If you put the left side on a block so it doesn't run out, you are dumping a quart of liquid into the intake. Not a good idea.
FWIW, my can was 12.5 oz. & I didn't elevate the left wheel.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:21 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Why would you want to elevate a tire to do an induction cleaning. This thread is starting to get scarey when you see the number of people who don't have a clue how to do an induction cleaning and then complain about the results.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:29 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Why would you want to elevate a tire to do an induction cleaning. This thread is starting to get scarey when you see the number of people who don't have a clue how to do an induction cleaning and then complain about the results.
Mike, nobody is talking about induction cleaning as far as I can see. They are talking about TB cleaning.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Camdisco24 said. I'm the original poster & I am talking about the throttle body cleaning procedure which I linked to in numerous places in this thread.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:38 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mike, the OP is referring to Spike's post on TB cleaning. It states to elevate the driver's tire so the cleaner doesn't leak back out. It states to spray the entire can into the TB.

read this: https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=19664

Old 03-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Administrator

I realize that the thread stated clean a t/body but it was sounding more like people were really talking about cleaning the induction cleaning based on the amount of liquid people were using.
When cleaning a t/body, you only spray a 1 to 2 second spray into the t/body both in front and back of the plate, then let it sit. If a little leaks out, just put a paper towel under the t/body throat to catch that small amount.
After letting the spray sit for 5 minutes or so, use a tooth brush, scrub the entire area to loosen up any baked on residue then wipe out as much of the old mess/fluid with a paper towel.
Before restarting, clean the idle solenoid, for D2's, then go to start the engine, turning the key till it starts and don't pump the throttle because the engine will most likely already be flooded.
This is the correct way to clean a t/body, with no exceptions.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:01 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I know, but in the thread, it states you should jack up the tire and spray the whole dang can in. I just wanted someone to fix the post. It is on our sticky on how to. Every Noob is going to go in and dump the whole can in.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Administrator

I just read the write up that Josh wrote and suggested it be reworded to prevent any of these questions in the future.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Cleaning your t-body did not cause your engine to blow up.
Cleaning the tbody didn't cause the explosion, it was the 16oz or so of TB cleaner that was in the combustion chambers when I started the motor after following explicit instructins on how to jack up the wheel to make sure the cleaner goes in the intake and "dont be cheap, use the whole can." Liquids do not compress, and against my better judgement I followed the instructions anyway, as I thought that you all probably knew something I didn't. I turns out that is not the case in this scenario, and my blown engine is the result.

I think that mikes recent post on this thread on how to clean the TB would have netted distinctly different results, namely I wouldn't have just completed a motor swap. Notice how it doesn't include dumping copious amounts of fluid into the intake all at once on a non running engine and then starting it.

That being said, I should have used better judgement than to follow what seemed to be bad advice anyway. Had the instructions said to dump a can of gas, or kerosene or water for that matter into the TB and start the engine I would have thought that was insane, but the instructions are very compelling and TB cleaner didn't seem as crazy at the time. It is crazy though, don't do it.

Quick Reply: Cleaned TB per instructions, now engine is locked