Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code 0340

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 11:28 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boris_gti
Michael,

I just did this job. Your timing if OFF!!!!!!
In your picture your key points straight up towards 12 o'clock. It should be point at 2 o'clock roughly. See my pictures. I also took pictures of cam and crank sprockets and you will see timing marks on them as well as the position of the crank key. Your picture does not look like this. Like I said, your key points at 12 o'clock and it should be at 2 o'clock roughly when the cam marks is pointed at 6 o'clock.

Just so you know.....marks on the new sprockets are a little different shape than the stock sprockets.

This is why your cam sensors thinks it's off.....because it is compared to the crank position.

Hope this helps. I just seen this thread...sorry. Wish I seen this sooner.

Boris
Thanks for replying to my thread. Quite a surprise, as I thought I hadn't moved either the crank shaft or cam shaft during the part swap (keeping the keys oriented). There's certainly a huge variation comparing my configuration to yours. I'm actually surprised my engine is running as smooth as it is, but not surprised at the lack of power.

I guess this is a prime example of why we should not do technical work when our lives are mustered in compressed schedules and parasitic commitments. Missing a little thing like this (even when you thought you were careful) sucks!

Guess I'll be opening up the front cover tomorrow...

Thanks, Michael

Old 10-20-2011, 04:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Posts some pix of before and after please.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:27 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep us updated and ask if you have any questions. If you need any pics let me know since I just did this job and I have a few pics that I took of mine engine while it was torn down.
Your main goal is to see that the timing marks are ligned up properly after you take the front engine cover off. Use my picture as an example and look at the RAVE as Buzz posted as well for timing alignment.

Boris