Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code 0340

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Code 0340

Hey guys... the Discovery relation continues.

I just replaced my timing chain and a few other things.

As I cleaned my oil encrusted cam shaft position sensor contacts with some CRC electrode contact cleaner, the solvent severely damaged the plastic plug. Basically it melted the section nearest the wires-ugly.

Thus I wasn't surprised when I got a 0340 code accompanied by a slight hesitation to start and a noticeable loss of power. I did the typical things like adjust the plug connection... nothing.

My conclusion was that the solvent damaged the connectivity and with such short leads I doubted repairing it was possible. So I chocked it up, grudgingly ordered a new $en$or, installed the part and cleared the code with my reader.

Surprise, I still have the 0340 code and a noticeable loss of power.

Anyone have any pointers with this? I've read that the 340 code can sometimes indicate a crank shaft sensor issue. The cost of the cam sensor just tanked me. I really don't want to put more money into her unnecessarily.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Code 0340-imag0496.jpg  

Last edited by DeepBlueWater; 10-03-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Mudding

Just one code... 340!

Adding to my description- The truck has a very slight hesitation to start, but once started, runs smooth and quiet. One would suspect it was a false code, but I have a significant lack of power and noticeable delayed shift pattern.

Last edited by DeepBlueWater; 10-04-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Mudding

https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...n-30745/page2/

Just read this thread regarding code 0340. Turns out the engine had the wrong cam gears.

As mentioned, I just replaced the timing chain and cam gears.

I'm really hoping that Atlantic British sent me the correct parts for my D2. Unfortunately they're closed for the day. If anyone with experience could take a glance at the set I installed I'd be grateful. They look correct, but I may be missing a subtle difference.

Thanks, Michael

Attached Thumbnails Code 0340-imag0479.jpg  

Last edited by DeepBlueWater; 10-04-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:52 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Michael, Michael, what are we going to do with you? I think you just like causing Disco problems so you can post a new thread.
Let us know how it turns out.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Michael, Michael, what are we going to do with you? I think you just like causing Disco problems so you can post a new thread.
Let us know how it turns out.
As much as I enjoy this vehicle, I'm highly considering putting her up for sale. You may see the last of my threads in short time.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:20 PM
Mudding

Well I'm no closer to resolving this today than I was two weeks ago.

BA has been more than accommodating and sent me a new timing chain and gears to compare with my old set. In addition, they suggested rather confidently that the 0340 code may be caused by a faulty crank shaft position sensor. I know Mike... you and I spoke and we both agreed is was a very long shot. But they said I could install it and if it didn't work return it.

I installed the crank shaft position sensor today. What a pain in the goose! An easy 20 minute project with an additional 60 minutes of Houdini like arm and finger maneuvers to uncouple the plug. Something I hoped not to do again. I cleared the code and immediately saw no improvement in power and the code returned shortly there after. Return the CSPS? Agggggggg!

What I did discover, is that the holes (for the cam shaft position sensor) in the new cam shaft gear are not identical to the holes in the original part. The attached pictures embellish the discrepancy slightly, but none the less, there is a distinct difference.

Since the cam shaft position sensor works in conjunction with the gear holes, could a small machining error like this be enough to cause a 0340 cam shaft position sensor error? If my timing is off because of this discrepancy, can the ECU settings be adjusted to resolve the error?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Code 0340-imag0502.jpg   Code 0340-imag0501.jpg  
Old 10-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Two pages to read over. Could be fuse that runs the sensor, could be machining as you state, could be some sort of orientation issue. Do gears in photo look same on back side?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 CPS.pdf (745.9 KB, 121 views)
cmp d2 a.pdf (847.6 KB, 131 views)
Old 10-19-2011, 10:23 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michael,

I just did this job. Your timing if OFF!!!!!!
In your picture your key points straight up towards 12 o'clock. It should be point at 2 o'clock roughly. See my pictures. I also took pictures of cam and crank sprockets and you will see timing marks on them as well as the position of the crank key. Your picture does not look like this. Like I said, your key points at 12 o'clock and it should be at 2 o'clock roughly when the cam marks is pointed at 6 o'clock.

Just so you know.....marks on the new sprockets are a little different shape than the stock sprockets.

This is why your cam sensors thinks it's off.....because it is compared to the crank position.

Hope this helps. I just seen this thread...sorry. Wish I seen this sooner.

Boris

Attached Thumbnails Code 0340-timing_landy-1.jpg   Code 0340-timing_marks_1.jpg  
Old 10-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

From RAVE overhaul manual for 4.0 engine: great bed time reading....

Attached Files
4 0 timing.pdf (192.2 KB, 106 views)
Old 10-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buzz,

His is an '03, which means he's got 4.6l. But even 4.0l is done in the same manner.

Let me know if you agree with my theory please.

Thanks.

Last edited by boris_gti; 10-19-2011 at 11:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Code 0340