Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code P0455

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 06:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code P0455

Any thoughts on this?..Says evaporative emission contol system leak.....i dont see any leak. What could cause this?

Old 07-28-2009, 08:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

make sure your gas cap is all the way tight and fully seated, rubber touching the neck... past that youre looking at getting it tested or buying special equip to test it, or the good old guess and check procedure

Old 07-29-2009, 08:41 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Let your mechanic find/repair it, you won't find it on your own.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Three Wheeling

Well, believe it or not, the one time I didnt double check my gas cap. Thats what it was! took it off and screwed it back down and sure enough....SES is gone

Old 08-19-2009, 08:10 PM
Overlanding

I had the same code go off just the other night. I think it was because I was out of fuel. I was on day 5 of driving with the light on (I know, I know). But gas is super expensive, and I was trying to make the most of the tank. I filled it up, checked on my OBDII and reset the light. It came on today, 3 days after it originally showed up. I cleared it again today. Any idea if I need to check on it again, or the light will go off for good after a few fill ups and the more I drive around?

Thanks!

Old 06-15-2012, 02:52 PM
3rd Gear
Default It came back and I shoulda known better

I had P0455 come up again today and I should have known it was going to show. Last year, when I first purchased my Disco, I had the check engine light come on and it scared the crap out of me. I took it to Autozone and asked them to see if they could figure out what was up. The guy hooked up his code reader and saw the "evaporative emission contol system leak", that tastandish previously had and told me it was most likely that the fuel cap was loose. And so it was! Since then I've made a good point of tightening the heck out of that thing at every fill-up but it had been getting harder and harder to do lately and the other day I was really crushing my thumb to get it down even halfway. And the clicks were driving me nuts! So today it (P0455) happened again and like before I freaked a bit, just like I always do, when an alarm on my UltraGauge came up because I didn't remember the code from last time. I, of course, came straight to good ole' LR Forum to figure it out. Now I've lubed the cap and inlet threads with some engine oil (just a tad) and she's going down smooth. Just thought I'd add on to this old thread as it's helped me like so many before.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ODIN
I had P0455 come up again today and I should have known it was going to show. Last year, when I first purchased my Disco, I had the check engine light come on and it scared the crap out of me. I took it to Autozone and asked them to see if they could figure out what was up. The guy hooked up his code reader and saw the "evaporative emission contol system leak", that tastandish previously had and told me it was most likely that the fuel cap was loose. And so it was! Since then I've made a good point of tightening the heck out of that thing at every fill-up but it had been getting harder and harder to do lately and the other day I was really crushing my thumb to get it down even halfway. And the clicks were driving me nuts! So today it (P0455) happened again and like before I freaked a bit, just like I always do, when an alarm on my UltraGauge came up because I didn't remember the code from last time. I, of course, came straight to good ole' LR Forum to figure it out. Now I've lubed the cap and inlet threads with some engine oil (just a tad) and she's going down smooth. Just thought I'd add on to this old thread as it's helped me like so many before.
Good info on lubing the gas cap. I've had this code pop a couple times, and gas cap has been the culprit every time. I'll be sure to throw a little grease on it to keep it going on smoothly.