Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new owner - P0455 error code

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 03:32 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new owner - P0455 error code

Hello,

After several months of negotiations I got a LR Disco. Great priced, Nice ride, great shape. I have been reading all the disco threads here for a few months and figured it was time to go ahead. I figured I was good with tools .

I picked up the Disco on Monday, took it in for a oil and lube and coolant swap and start into a shake down of the truck and begin "Mikes Major things" to-do-list.

Today - after 96 miles of ownership - it threw a code. Kinda funny.

The code is P0455 - Evap system large leak.

I looked for the major things under the hood. It does kinda smell of gas toward the rear of the truck.

I am down loading the RAVE next. Any thoughts on how to fault trace this leak?

Many Thanks,
Dieselburban

Old 12-29-2010, 03:48 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

You sure the gas cap is on tight? What kind of shape is it in? This might be as simple as replacing the gas cap...

Old 12-29-2010, 03:55 PM
6th Gear

wow - taco pronto response.

Cap is down tight and is in good shape including the seals.

Still nosiing around under truck.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine comes on about once a month 0455 Large Evap leak. I clear it and forget it. I would suggest buying a ScanGuageII and putting it right on your steering wheel bezel. You can monitor your OBDII codes. View water temp(most importante) and 3 other gauges simultaneously. That 0455 does not seem to effect performance, idle or gas milage. I bought a new gas cap about year ago. Didnt fix it... You may notice it only comes on when your tank is half full. Also I replaced the Evap Perge Solenoid. Looks like this, and it didnt fix it. Its a little pump the turns on when activated. Sits behind the throttle body on the drivers side, on top of the engine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LAND-...item43a40e20db

Last edited by bosshogt; 12-29-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:30 PM
6th Gear
Default leak found

I found the vacuum leak. The fuel pump mounting gasket was pinched and eventually broke after 8 years. It appears it was installed incorrectly from the factory. I dropped the tank popped off the fuel pump assemble and whan I pulled it out it was abvious as almost a 1/4 of the green gasket was turned down into the tank. Amazing it didnt leak until now.

In process of fixing that I broke a little nylon fitting that connectd the fuel pump to the fuel line. It is about 2 inches long.

Any ideas where to get one?

Dieselburban

Old 01-22-2011, 10:47 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by dieselburban
I found the vacuum leak. The fuel pump mounting gasket was pinched and eventually broke after 8 years. It appears it was installed incorrectly from the factory. I dropped the tank popped off the fuel pump assemble and whan I pulled it out it was abvious as almost a 1/4 of the green gasket was turned down into the tank.
How did you manage to find that?
RS

Old 01-22-2011, 11:51 PM
6th Gear

By accident. I had been crawling under the truck checking every hose etc, for cracks etc. Then last week I filled up at an old school filling station with old pumps. They allowed my to fill the tank higher than normal. As I returned to the truck it was "marking its territory" by urinating the fresh high test gas on the ground from the top of the tank. Helped me narrow down the search! SO dropped the tank, all looked fine but could see gas trail from leak. Only source was pump housing. Pulled it and bingo!

Old 01-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

You can acess the gas tank fuel pump easily by not removing the tank. Roll up the rear carpet, remove the access panel and there is the top of the fuel pump. Much easier access than dropping the gas tank.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:49 PM
6th Gear

I have now spent four days trying to locate a 2" long plastic fitting for the fuel line. I have contacted numerous vendors, pick-and-pull, dealers etc. I have checked ebay, rovers north, land rover of houston, british atlantic, and three of discomikes links. No joy.

No one has been able to help me locate this little piece of plastic. I can get a new intake manifold for $150 or a set of 8 injectors for $100 but Dealer wants $175 plus shipping for an entire new fuel line.

I am on the verge of making one out of solid aluminum.

Does anyone have even the fainest clue where I can locate this 2" long by 8mm plastic fitting?? Someone had to make this thing at some point of this planet.

Absolutely stumped,
Many Thanks,
Dieselburban