Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused....... 04 Land Rover!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 05:26 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Disco 2 - Leaking and Wont Start...... Confused and need help!

Okay Landrover experts, I am lost?

I just recently had a complete tune up, intake gaskets replaced.

I have an 04 Disco 2, I am having a couple of issue:
1) I was loosing some antifreeze, refill the resouvior bottle about once a week, I thought it was a bad thermostat so I replaced it. Still had the same issue. Smelled anti freeze now and then but kept checking hoses, lines radiot, radiator etc. no leaks found. Check engine light came on gave me a code but said bad cylinoid? (Autozone) At this same time my car hesitated to start, now and then. So went back got the same code. So I took off alternator checked it out, checked out fine, checked battery, checked out fine, so we pressumed it was the starter. The next day drove it work went to crank it and it would not start, it just made a ticking sound. So I figured the starter gave out. (this is where the fun beginnings.....when I replaced the starter, it did the same thing.) While I was underneath, I had a friend turn the ignition because I wanted to check the wiring. when he turned the ignition, I felt as though some sprayed water on me, I asked him to turn the ignition again, and it did it again. I noticed it came from the bottom backside side underneath the left side of the engine. I then realized it may be vapor locked? I took out the spark plugs on the back side and I had antifreeze in the rear cylinder, I check the rest of them and they were fine. Here is my dilema, Is it a bad head gasket? A cracked head? or when they replaced the intake gasket could it come from there? I am just at a loss. Can someone please give me some insight. or idea? You can email me directly to jpujol@mobilemini.com or call me 225.348.2223 Any help would be deeply appreciated. This is my only mode of transportation and I need it for work.
Thank you in advance for reading my post and taking the time to assist me with this situation.

Last edited by jpujol; 04-11-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Chande subject line
Old 04-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Very likely a bad headgasket. The back cylinder is where they usually fail.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:33 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

94svt50 thank you! Quick question, there is an import repair shop that says it can be fixed by using a product called blue devil? He said it would cost about 150.00 dollars, 65.00 for the product, and the rest for cleaning out coolant completely and adding the coolant after its flushing? Would you know anything about this?

Old 04-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default No..

Originally Posted by jpujol
94svt50 thank you! Quick question, there is an import repair shop that says it can be fixed by using a product called blue devil? He said it would cost about 150.00 dollars, 65.00 for the product, and the rest for cleaning out coolant completely and adding the coolant after its flushing? Would you know anything about this?
No, it does not work.... Would you put a $150.00 product in your truck if you actually paid $32,000.00 for it? Thats what people paid in 04 for a new one... I bet not... If you don't fix it correctly you will surely be begging someone to take your now broke truck for $1,500.00... Once you fix it correctly , you will be way ahead.... of what...i am not sure..... but at least you don't have to walk..

Chris

Old 04-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Here's a pix of what is trying to happen at the rear of the heads. The coolant channel (rectangle) has very thin gasket material in those spots. The stopz leakz products try to seal small leaks, but this sort of thing will just get worse unless you make proper repairs. You no longer have a tiny pinhole leak in one spot. You are leaking into the cylinder, and out the back of the block at the same time. If you repair now you can save a cracked head or block or worse. Also, that coolant will be trying to get into your oil as well. When the coolant takes the stopz leakz products into the oil, they don't help the bearings at all. The stopz leakz stuff will also clog up the cooling system if you have any existing sludge in that system. You really want to use that product for an emergency get back home sort of thing, or as a last ditch we-have-fixed everything else.

Attached Thumbnails Confused....... 04 Land Rover!-hg-rear.jpg   Confused....... 04 Land Rover!-hg-rear-2.jpg  
Old 04-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Screw the shop, you can add the head gasket crap yourself, leave that spark plug out, crank the engine over to pump out the coolant, put the plug back.
Add the stuff that will not work and drive it for 2 hours.

You need new headgaskets, we could have told you that from the very start and saved you alot of money, work and hassle.