Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant system redo/upgrade options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 06:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Coolant system redo/upgrade options?

Summer and the height temps are just around the corner.
So far we had seen our temp as high as 230is in have traffic
So before anything else we have decided to get ahead and get
Radiator
Water Pump
Thermostat
Fan Clutch

I'm aware of "better radiators" that have 3 rows instead of 2.
Also everyone swears to only get LR OEM Thermostat.

Questions then:
Does any one know of better performance radiates for our truck? Does someone has a 3 Row radiator?
How about water pumps? Any out there that provides better flow?

Thanks for the input before we put a lot more money on this truck!
I was just thinking last night that if we had waited before buying this truck and saved the money we putted on it already, my wife could be driving a Defender Diesel now!!!!!

The following users liked this post:
Dwane Carey (03-09-2023)
Old 06-23-2016, 06:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Most people recommend a land rover grey 180* thermostat. I'm not sure about aftermarket radiator and water pumps. I'm sure there are plenty of people who can steer you in the right direction.
You're lucky you noticed the high temps before it caused serious damage.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 941 Likes on 633 Posts

I'm actually a big fan of the inline thermostat mod. Its a bullet aluminum thermostat housing that goes in line and you use Chevy style thermostats. Overall cost is not much more expensive than the factory 180. You'll need one different hose. There's a specific BMW hose that works and costs around $25, but I got a 14" universal for $10. There is a more detailed write up somewhere on the forums.

As for fans, I'm also a big fan (heh) of switching to a ford electric fan. I've got a write up for that in my signature.

As for the radiator, I'm still on the OEM style radiator and it does just fine. I'd stick with that.

The following 3 users liked this post by Alex_M:
Dwane Carey (03-09-2023), piperff (07-29-2019), RawFaith (06-24-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 07:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle

That sounds like a good option. Chevy thermostats are dirt cheap and you can get them in a range of different temps. I think I paid six dollars for the one I put in my GMC.

RawFaith (06-24-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 08:31 PM
Camel Trophy

The expensive part is the housing which is like $60, then about $5 for the thermostat, $10 for the hose, and maybe another $10 for the parts you need to be able to bleed the system, plus any band style hose clamps you don't already have.

RawFaith (06-24-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 09:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle

That's still not too bad. Does this modification go up near the top of the engine bay where you can get to it easy? If so, that alone would make it worth doing.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:11 PM
Camel Trophy

Yep, right at the top. Here is the write up I went by. As I said, I used a 14" universal hose instead of the BMW part they used to save cost.

Inline Thermostat - LAND ROVER CLUB V.I.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

I also believe an inline mod is best cure to keep temp low & avoid spikes & well worth what you spend (time or money wise),, (if making hole in thermostat flat plate, it's best to make 2 small holes on top & bottom & make jiggle pins for them,, rather than a bigger hole without one,, it will help the coolant to get to temp quicker & jiggle pins will keep holes clogg free,)
as for the lower hose replacement you don't really need to change them, simply connect existing lower radiator hose to the one that attaches to side of thermostat by using a hose connector metal tube,, that way you will even have a little more coolant running in system,

RawFaith (06-24-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 11:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Inline thermostat mod or gtfo.

RawFaith (06-24-2016)
Old 06-24-2016, 09:00 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
I'm actually a big fan of the inline thermostat mod. Its a bullet aluminum thermostat housing that goes in line and you use Chevy style thermostats. Overall cost is not much more expensive than the factory 180. You'll need one different hose. There's a specific BMW hose that works and costs around $25, but I got a 14" universal for $10. There is a more detailed write up somewhere on the forums.

As for fans, I'm also a big fan (heh) of switching to a ford electric fan. I've got a write up for that in my signature.

As for the radiator, I'm still on the OEM style radiator and it does just fine. I'd stick with that.
Loved the Ford Fan install, Do you think that there is room for 2 of the 3.8L Taurus to fit? may be controlling the fan speeds with individual switches from the cab? I was thinking to add a pusher fan in the front, but now we are talking a different language!

Looking into the inline Thermostat parts that's obviously the way to go!

Quick Reply: Coolant system redo/upgrade options?