Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling System

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Originally Posted by Mstudt
I actually miss typed the fan clutch number. I did get the 922790 for the 620-602 blade rather than the 922786 clutch.

Just to clarify that the 922790 is the severe duty clutch though, right? The description said it was Heavy duty, but nothing about severe duty.

Yeah 922790 used to be listed as Severe Duty. When I bought mine they were listed as severe duty vs heavy.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Yeah 922790 used to be listed as Severe Duty. When I bought mine they were listed as severe duty vs heavy.
So it looks like Autozone changed it up a bit. Part number 922770 is the standard duty clutch, and the 922790 is the heavy duty. I would also assume the heavy duty is the severe duty.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:22 AM
Rock Crawling

I'm still working on this issue. I have the new fan clutch, fan blade, and ac fan motor installed. It's also very clear that the system was NOT bled down, and I'm working on that daily. If I'm still fighting this by the end of the week I may just bite the bullet, and have the wife take it in. I'm running out of time on this project, and if a shop can take care of it in a couple hours then so be it.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:10 PM
Rock Crawling

Well. Tuesday has come and gone, and the Rover isn't coming home. The shop replaced what we all thought was a faulty t-stat, flushed the system, and added a bottle of Water Wetter. The Rover is still over heating at this point, and that work only helped slightly. We have a newish water pump (5k), new t-stat (again), new hoses, new sensors, new fan clutch, new ac condenser fan, and new radiator.

The shop said it seems like it's not dissipating heat like it should, and they think it "might" be the radiator. The radiator was replaced with an Nissens PCC000710G per recommendation from Lucky 8, and that should have been for the SAI models.

We didn't have any heating issues on our old leaky engine that we just swapped out. Now with all new parts we can't keep this thing cool. At this point our trip is on the verge of being cancelled since this issue isn't getting any better. We have a very large investment in the Rover, and I can't understand what else could be going on.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

That's a great radiator and even has a drain plug!!!! Hopefully that will fix your issue

Old 06-13-2017, 05:33 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
That's a great radiator and even has a drain plug!!!! Hopefully that will fix your issue
That's the radiator that's currently in there! The drain plug is filled with a sensor on the SAI models so I'm still screwed when I have to drain.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Not to hijack this thread, but has anyone thought about getting one of these?

Aluminum radiator for LAND ROVER DISCOVERY II 2 V8 4.0 4.6L 1999-2004 | eBay

Old 06-13-2017, 06:47 PM
Pro Wrench

How old is the radiator? You seem to
have replaced the entire cooling system

Old 06-13-2017, 06:55 PM
Pro Wrench

Have u tried to bypass the heater core to see it that may be the issue. It could be blocked. I had a water pump go bad and almost clogged up the heater core. After flushing it numerous times and backflushing it numerous times, it fixed my issue.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:12 PM
Rock Crawling

How old is the radiator? You seem to
have replaced the entire cooling system
The radiator is brand new. It was installed during the installation of the engine.

Have u tried to bypass the heater core to see it that may be the issue. It could be blocked. I had a water pump go bad and almost clogged up the heater core. After flushing it numerous times and backflushing it numerous times, it fixed my issue.
I have not thought about bypassing the heater core. I can tell you that the heat in Rover works great, and get pretty warm. Not sure if that's a sign that it's working or not?

My brother is a mechanic, but not for Land Rover. He's going to pick the Rover up tomorrow from the shop, and keep it for a couple days. He'll be able to drive it around to see what it's doing, and will also be able to check some things out on it.

At this point my wife and I are really considering leaving the Rover behind for our trip. If things can't get straightened by the end of the weekend the Rover will be sitting at home, and we'll be taking our 4runner for the adventure. I hate to think that way, but we have to be able to trust the Rover and right now we don't.

Quick Reply: Cooling System