Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling System

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 05:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
You don't want a shrouded fan in front of your radiator. If you're just getting an extra fan to be a secondary aux fan then just get a universal 12" slim fan off of eBay.
That's what I was thinking as well. I assume a shrouded fan would block all other air flow.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:23 AM
Rock Crawling

This morning I ordered a couple 12" fans, and an adjustable controller. The plan is to wire one of the fans in place of the existing AC condenser fan, and wire the second fan to the controller.

The first fan will be wired directly to the Rover, and will come on with the AC or when the temp reaches 210. So in theory this fan will work exactly how it should from the factory. The only difference is that it'll be moving more air. The second fan is going to be wired to a Painless adjustable fan control. This will give me the option to have the second fan turn on between below zero to 248 degrees.

Each fan will produce around 1600 CFM, and a combined total of a little over 3000 CFM.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:55 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts

What 12" fans did you order? If it's the eBay ones, they're way overrated. You'd be better sticking with your factory electric fan where it's at and adding one of the cheapos to run as a constant auxiliary.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:11 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Alex_M
What 12" fans did you order? If it's the eBay ones, they're way overrated. You'd be better sticking with your factory electric fan where it's at and adding one of the cheapos to run as a constant auxiliary.
I didn't go with the FF Dynamics fans off of eBay. I ordered a couple Perma-Cool fans from Summit Racing, and a Painless fan control. These are a push/pull fan with 1638 cfm on push, and a little less cfm running on pull. I'm not 100% sure if I'll replace the ac condenser fan yet, but I thought I might as well order that just in case.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

I think you will be disappointed with those fans. Ambient Temps around here have been in the 90's and I wouldn't feel comfortable with anything less than the factory fan or the Lincoln fan im using currently.

​​

Old 06-15-2017, 12:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Especially if you don't intend to use a shroud with that 12" fan. If that's the case then you might as well throw it in the trash cuz it's not gonna do squat.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:19 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
I think you will be disappointed with those fans. Ambient Temps around here have been in the 90's and I wouldn't feel comfortable with anything less than the factory fan or the Lincoln fan im using currently. ​​
I'm sure I'll be happy with the Perma-Cool fans. I've been using these fans for the last 10 years or so with success when I had a Jeep. I'm assuming you mean Flex-a-Lite fan since Lincoln is the manufacture of them?

Especially if you don't intend to use a shroud with that 12" fan. If that's the case then you might as well throw it in the trash cuz it's not gonna do squat.
No shrouds come with these fans, and it's been my understanding that you don't want a shroud on the front. It'll only block air flow when the fans aren't on.

Last edited by Mstudt; 06-15-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Mstudt
I'm sure I'll be happy with the Perma-Cool fans. I've been using these fans for the last 10 years or so with success when I had a Jeep. I'm assuming you mean Flex-a-Lite fan since Lincoln is the manufacture of them?

No shrouds come with these fans, and it's been my understanding that you don't want a shroud on the front. It'll only block air flow when the fans aren't on.

No, I mean the factory fomoco fan for Lincoln Mk. Viii 's.

And I mean a shroud on the engine side of the radiator. Maybe I'm confused, are you planning on running two 12" fans on the front side as pushers and retaining the factory mechanical fan and shroud as puller?

Old 06-15-2017, 12:41 PM
Rock Crawling

Maybe I'm confused, are you planning on running two 12" fans on the front side as pushers and retaining the factory mechanical fan and shroud as puller?
Factory fan clutch, fan, and shroud will remain intact. I'm only replacing the electric AC condenser fan, and adding one addition auxiliary fan to help out if needed.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Ok, that makes more sense. Interested to see how it works out.

​​​​

Quick Reply: Cooling System