Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy High Idle - Thursday night - please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 08:21 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,422 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Michigan? Still probably pretty cold there. Engine can't run fast without a lot of air and fuel. There are two cables that connect to the throttle body on the very front/top of the engine right in front - that's the throttle body. You can pull on the exposed part of cable and see it pull the throttle bellcrank open. When you release it they should go all the back to a physical mechanical stop. Make sure it does, if it does not, that the problem. Also, with it in the closed position, there shoudl be a tiny bit of slack in the cables.

I doubt it is the throttle, my guess is it is a stuck idle air valve. - google images for LR Discovery idle air valve. Disconnect the hose from the valve to the large metal piece (upper intake). Put something large and metal that fits tightly in the hose and is impossible to fit through the hose in to the end. Start engine. My guess is it will not idle due to no idle air. If that is it, try putting the idle air valve inside at a reasonable temperature, probably just stuck due to cold temps.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
KernowDiscovery (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 10:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
Michigan? Still probably pretty cold there. Engine can't run fast without a lot of air and fuel. There are two cables that connect to the throttle body on the very front/top of the engine right in front - that's the throttle body. You can pull on the exposed part of cable and see it pull the throttle bellcrank open. When you release it they should go all the back to a physical mechanical stop. Make sure it does, if it does not, that the problem. Also, with it in the closed position, there shoudl be a tiny bit of slack in the cables.

I doubt it is the throttle, my guess is it is a stuck idle air valve. - google images for LR Discovery idle air valve. Disconnect the hose from the valve to the large metal piece (upper intake). Put something large and metal that fits tightly in the hose and is impossible to fit through the hose in to the end. Start engine. My guess is it will not idle due to no idle air. If that is it, try putting the idle air valve inside at a reasonable temperature, probably just stuck due to cold temps.

Good luck.
Yep, 'Tragic City' Michigan. It hit 50 degrees today and yesterday so I thought that things may be thawed out. Thanks for the pointers on the throttle body - I've made their acquaintance a few times before The IACV - not so much so that's something new for me. Argh.. wonder if I should wait until the days get a little warmer to minimize the pain i'm going to feel when tackling this. I know it's stupid and probably common place for a lot of you guys but I'm just not that savvy and/or brave when it comes to tearing stuff apart. I've watched the Atlantic British videos and I think 'ok.. I can do that' and then when I think about putting it all together after I have it apart, that's the part that gets me - lol. Guess I need to start somewhere, eh?

I'll try to tackle it again tomorrow night and pay more attention to the dash while starting her up. I don't think the oil light came on but then again, I didn't even look to see what the RPMs were actually at as I was too freaked out with the spectacle Bertha was bestowing upon me. She was NOT happy and I did end up having a good cry tonight. This vehicle gets me every single time. I think the new dent in the hood pushed me over the edge - self inflicted by my stupid ice scraper last month. Thanks for the input everyone. I'll post back when I know a little more.

Christina

Old 03-29-2019, 05:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle

So typically I have epiphanies at 4:00 in the morning. Today it came to me at 6:00. I just realized that when I was jump starting Bertha she sounded as if she'd turn over normally once she had enough juice. I probably should have just put a slow charger on her and waited but I was impatient and wanted to get her going again. Hopefully I didn't do any harm to the alternator, etc. Anyway, it just occurred to me that I put the pedal to the metal when I heard her trying to turn over, she caught, I was relieved, and that's when all hell broke loose. Something is stuck. I'll go ahead and clean everything tonight and see if I have any luck. Thanks for all of the input. I appreciate it

Christina

Old 03-29-2019, 06:12 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 825 Likes on 600 Posts

Throttle body.

Get some carb cleaner. Remove the tube leading to the throttle body and inspect the throttle butterfly and tube. See if the butterfly is stuck open. Use the carb cleaner to clean deposits that may be keeping the throttle butterfly open.

The following users liked this post:
KernowDiscovery (03-29-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 09:53 PM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

Omg you want to kill your motor ?
Do not let that idle that high more than 2 sec

i wouid start at the throttle see if it’s stuck open

Old 03-30-2019, 04:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

Responded on facebook page, didn't see this topic in time. Pretty much same advice...so...good luck with the old gal.

Brian.

Old 03-31-2019, 01:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Responded on facebook page, didn't see this topic in time. Pretty much same advice...so...good luck with the old gal.

Brian.
Thanks Brian - I appreciate guys like you.

Christina