Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Issue...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by discomedic4
I knew I recognized the name. I used to work in Brownwood and took pt's to Temple all the time. Passed right through that area. Then I worked in Temple for awhile for Scott and White EMS. Wish there were more 4x4 areas up here near me. Not many in Texas period.
I have small place(68 acres) of rocky hills so it seems bigger than it is. I have some really rough trails in fact, 3 folks have rolled on to their side trying my "proving ground" trail Not sure my disco has the clearance for it yet. It will need more tire and some lift. My old 84 CJ7 with 4" lift and 33" tires drug quite abit. It is a frame tweaker too with the off camber portion. I have a 74 IH scout with 8" lift and 38" tires and it goes through pretty easy, but then it ain't pretty either

Old 07-23-2010, 08:27 PM
4wd Low

am getting 13.3 MPG on the highway with injectors cleaned, new air filter and spark plugs any suggestions do the ox sensors affect gas mileage?

Old 07-23-2010, 09:30 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoDaddy
am getting 13.3 MPG on the highway with injectors cleaned, new air filter and spark plugs any suggestions do the ox sensors affect gas mileage?

Yes, the o2 sensors do affect gas mileage. How many miles are on your Disco, and what year is it?

A couple other questions:
What station and octane gas do you use?
How fast do you drive on the highway?
What's the psi in your tires?
How old are your wires/what kind are you using?

Old 07-24-2010, 11:01 AM
4wd Low
Default Gase Mileage

I have new tires keep the pressure up, 71k miles, 2004, new plugs, wires are replacement ones and look fairly new so I did not change them,
drive 60-65 mph, use Chevron 91 Oct. New air filter.

Any suggestions?

Old 07-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by DiscoDaddy
I have new tires keep the pressure up, 71k miles, 2004, new plugs, wires are replacement ones and look fairly new so I did not change them,
drive 60-65 mph, use Chevron 91 Oct. New air filter.

Any suggestions?
Wow, you seem pretty well tuned up, and Chevron is really good gas, so it can't be that.
Have you ever added Seafoam to your gas?

Old 07-25-2010, 11:50 AM
4wd Low
Default Better Gas Mileage

I have added marvel mystery oil to the gas but I will try SeaFoam and see if it helps.

After a slamming trip lots of dirt roads and off road in Colorado then back through extreme heat across the Navaho Nation to Needles finally to Laguna I now know what I have to do to get my Disco in great shape. It never overheated even with the AC on full.

1. Fix Cruise Control

2. Clean drain holes for AC

3. Passenger door latch inside does not work

4. Front end seems loose on washboard roads, probably can be cured with
front axle rebuild or OME springs, shocks and steering damper. Seem like some slop transmits to the steering wheel when I am on rough washboard roads. ( any suggestions)

5. Bad gas mileage will try to live with it or replace whatever is needed.

6. Will change to 10W 40 synthetic next oil change (suggestions?)

7. Clicking has somewhat died down after three frequent oil changes and one flushing.

Overall the Disco is a tough vehicle and can take a lot of punishment if it is properly maintained. It is a great vehicle for road trips, camping and exploring. We took the back seats out for extra room.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Overlanding

OK, I replaced the hose on the back of the control. The other was rotted. BUT NO cruise!!! I have cone through the Disco Serv manual that I downloaded and have not found a Vaccuum schematic. I did not see an outside source for vaccuum to the control. IS it also a vaccuum pump It looked like it might be. While I was tinkering I discovered a small drip of coolant from a plate on bottom of intake Hell, I thought my Jeeps were bad

Old 07-26-2010, 10:11 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ghostrider1964
OK, I replaced the hose on the back of the control. The other was rotted. BUT NO cruise!!! I have cone through the Disco Serv manual that I downloaded and have not found a Vaccuum schematic. I did not see an outside source for vaccuum to the control. IS it also a vaccuum pump It looked like it might be. While I was tinkering I discovered a small drip of coolant from a plate on bottom of intake Hell, I thought my Jeeps were bad
You are correct, the cruise has a vacuum pump attached to it, there is no outside vacuum line.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:08 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by 'BamaBoy
I get about 20mpg @ 60mph, and about 18mpg at 67mph. The mpg just goes down exponentially after that LOL.

edit: This is without my cruise on, my cruise can't maintain a steady speed.
well the reason is because the rover isn't aerodynamic. It's a brick lol

Old 07-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by 'BamaBoy
You are correct, the cruise has a vacuum pump attached to it, there is no outside vacuum line.
How is best wat to check the pump? My diaphram is good. Also in the fuse panel, I see a cruise emblem in the relay section but nothing there...several empty slots...Does it need the relay or is that just extra slot?