Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cruise Control Issue

The cruise-control switch on the brake pedal bracket is a totally separate switch from the brake-light switch. They both reside on the brake-pedal bracket. The Cruise-control switch just controls the state of the cruise control. The ratchet sound is normal, as the switch is self-adjusting to the required height. If you pull the plunger all the way out, then insert the switch into the hole on the brake-pedal bracket it will make clicking sounds the first time the plunger is depressed. This is just self-adjusting the plunger depth to the correct level. It should not make clicking or ratcheting sounds after the first time. The function of this switch is like this. When the plunger is depressed (brakes off) the vacuum hose is blocked, allowing full vacuum from the vacuum pump to operate the cruise-control servo on the throttle-plate of the engine. Also a circuit is completed, allowing the cruise-control computer to sense the brakes are off. When you depress the brake pedal, the vacuum is released and the cruise-control servo instantly releases the throttle, and the electrical circuit to the cruise-control computer is interrupted telling the computer to stop the vacuum pump. There is a relay and a cruise-control computer located on the passenger side of the car, and yes you may hear the relay under certain circumstances, but this is of no concern. The main diagnostic on this switch is to determine if A. There is no air leakage when the plunger is depressed. Suck on the nipple and operate the plunger..you should not be able to suck any air with the plunger depressed. B. The electrical contacts complete a circuit (short) when the plunger is depressed. Test with simple voltmeter. On trucks that have manual-shift. There is an identical switch on the clutch-pedal bracket. They both have to work for the cruise-control to function.

I should add, that these switches are readily available and if you have doubts about them, should be replaced.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Cruise Control Issue

Well, I think I might have found the problem. Looking under the hood I found a busted vacuum line. It's the biggest one on the cluster behind the battery. It comes off the bottom of thhe cluster and makes a180 degree turn. I think replacing it might fix the problem seeing as my brake lights work perfectly. Although...My horn still dosn't work... Every once in awhile I press it just for the hell of it and sometimes it starts to blow and stops. The sound is like you thumped the horn... Ifthe hornworked I mean.