Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinders not firing

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Cylinders not firing

Inspection report for my '00 Discovery II came back saying four cylinders not firing. I was told to change spark plugs & wires. After I did so, the report now says Three cylinders not firing. Is the next step to replace the coil packs?

Old 02-24-2012, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Inspection report from whom? What codes are presented to the OBDII reader?

The D2 has two coil packs, and each operates 4 plugs, so why three I'm not sure. Here is pix of coil packs, hard to get to. Common fuse, but separate power plug to each coli pack. Have to take off top of intake to access, while doing that a perfect time for a quick pressure test of the fuel pump (test valve is also hard to reach before you take off top of manifold)

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 colis.pdf (438.7 KB, 231 views)
Old 02-24-2012, 08:51 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Slim, first get rid of the dark letters when posting.
Second, what are the fault code numbers and who's plugs and wires did you install.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Drifting

First, thanks guys for responding. Sorry for the bold type last time.
The report was from the state inspection guy in town. I was trying to get it inspected. Don't know about any codes. The paper just said "FAIL-multiple cylinder misfire.......Four cylinders not firing." Then later changed to three after replacing plugs and wires. I replaced them with the original dealer parts. Not sure if there is any connection, but the report also said something about "injector malfunction."
Also....The truck will not go over 70mph and slows down to 25mph when trying to go over a ship channel bridge. Very annoying. It sounds very good and rides smooth....just no power!

Old 02-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

ship channel - that sounds like Houston.... plenty of auto parts stores around, have one read your codes (they usually do it for free) and write down the numbers and post them. Don't worry about what their machine says code xyz equals, but we need the numbers.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:35 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I agree, go to any local parts store, have the codes read and get back to us with the fault code numbers, not with what they think they mean.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:32 PM
Drifting

OK.......Well, Hello guys. Guess its been a while. Yes I still have the truck,.....and YES its still doing the same thing but worse. It got put up for a while. Now we Need it, but we need it running RIGHT! It now takes an act of congress to get past 45mph. I've seen others with the EXACT same issues, but I've yet to see a solution. Savannah Buzz, I've seen you on a couple others posts about this. Please tell me you've found the solution. It takes 5 minutes to get to 35mph. Cant take it anymore. I'll get those codes in a few minutes, however, I dont think they will help because all the othjers posted codes and still had the same issues. Look forward to hearing from Someone.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:38 PM
Drifting

Oh, since the initial post, I have had the coil packs replaced.......but still Nothing.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:38 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

are you restarting the same post after 3-years?
if so what have you done beside change the wires and coils.
what about codes? compression test, H20 test, co2 test, anything?

Old 01-16-2015, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Wow, that is some intermission .

Codes and some testing.

Quick Reply: Cylinders not firing