Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinders not firing

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 04:14 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HAHAHAHAHA......Oh You got jokes! Well, I checked #F2 fuse (15amp), And it is
good.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:17 PM
Drifting

Next!?!?

Old 01-21-2015, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

codes?

Old 01-22-2015, 05:44 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check for spark on all cylinders.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

See if your engine still has 8 cylinders. These trucks are known for cylinders falling out. You may be on a wild goose chase. If you find out that 2 cylinders are missing you can use a lr2 or freelander ECU to run the 6 remaining cylinders. If you only have 4 left you can use any Audi/Honda/Nissan ect. 4 cylinder ecu.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:42 PM
Drifting

So from more investigating...it seems one of the common problems with these things is the Catalytic Converters (CC) clog up and causes the power loss issues. That is going to be my next step in troubleshooting. I'm going to cut the pipes right behind the CC and rod them out. I would like to have cut them Before the CC, that way I would have known right off the bat if it runs better. But the pipe turns up right befrore the CC and is very difficult to get too. I'm praying this thing will take off like lightning after I rod them out. (Well...it will seem like lightning compared to the 45mph its been doing for a year.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:50 PM
Drifting

Oh yeah......codes.......
p0300- Random/multiple Cylinder misfire
p0306- Cylinder 6 misfire
p0203- Cylinder 3 injector "A" circuit
p1590- No code definition

Dont think this helps anything, being that theres hundreds of people with the same issue and they fixed everything they could think of dealing with these codes, yet still have the problem. I found 2 people who said they had the exhaust replaced and THAT DID IT! I praying for the same results.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:34 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Hi, might I suggest you hit these guys with the whole facts and data and not take a scatter gun approach as they are trying to help you. I know many think the answers are on every forum but there isn't always an easy answer to many problems with vehicles andd sometimes it takes awhile to diagnose and also money swapping out parts and sometimes unnecessarily, c'est la vie.

Start with the model, age, mileage, engine size and recent service history. They now have the OBD2 codes and know you swapped out the coils and wires, but with whose coils and wires? as some are crap. Have you had the cylinder compressions tested? There are a myriad of engine sensors that can cause misfires any one of which may be defective. Have you checked out the spark plug color and condition to see whether it's burning oil?

Maybe you should take the truck into a good LR indy and get their opinion. The problem is you mention others throwing their dosh at these problems to no avail but because maybe the truck was cheap to buy it is a well known fact they are time consuming and expensive to run and repair. If you think an LR is expensive try some other 4x4's like Mercs, BMW's or Landcruiser's their costs will make your eyes water.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:42 AM
Drifting

I understand where your coming from OffroadFrance, but I'm not new to this bro. The 'scattered gun approach' is actually what I am avoiding! I have investigated many options for this issue. I'm not just an "oh what a pretty truck, I'll buy it" type person. I own a Mercedes too, so I'm prepared. I went in with full knowledge of its expensive repair capabilities. But I also am not trying to be the wallet draining fool that I've seen so many be. (no disrespect on the fools part) From your perspective, it seems you want me to be. I'm simply saying that if I have the EXACT same sypmtoms as hundreds of other LRDII owners, why would would I fix, repair, and replace all the same things they did which left them with the SAME issue............ after thousands of dollars?? At some point you gotta get wise and narrow your options down to the most probable cause. Which is why I looked to these guys on this post for deeper insight. And after a long research on these monsters, the catalytic converters have been Proven to be the top cause. This attempt wont cost me a thing, cause I can detach the CC myself to test....if its not problem then I can weld it back myself. If it is(I'm 98% sure it is), then I can weld new ones on. So actually, I may have just helped everyone else on this post to know what to look for in this particular troubleshooting issue. (we'll know that for fact by the end of the week) That's what we're all here for right??? To help?
I value any and all the input I've gotten from everyone here and have answered all questions except the compression test. The parts I used were top brand. I never saw a point in going to part stores and asking, "whats the cheapest one ya got." Ur just askin for trouble. I've even watched several people take their trucks to a LR Dealership, as you suggested,......and came home with a gigantic bill along with the same issue and a suggestion on what THEY(the owner) could do to maybe fix it. So I'll pass on that one. Thanks anyway.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

UR FUNNY GUY. Cylinder 3 Injector is unplugged. Oxygen sensor plugs probably have oil and funk in them.

Quick Reply: Cylinders not firing