Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D&D & their Crower cam

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 03:11 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default D&D & their Crower cam

Just a short complaint and question:

I called D&D Fab. D&D Fabrications: Engineering & Fabrication Services and talked with Dave.
Mentioned I read about the cams they offer for the Land Rovers and that I was interested in buying the 229 cam.
He stated that I needed to buy their cam kit which included the cam, lifters, chain, sprocket(s), (and possibly their pump cover.... I stopped listening when he started listing all the extra associated parts beyond the cam that I needed to buy). That the kit came with all the bolts, seals, gaskets, break in oil, lube etc...

I told him that all I wanted was the cam as I had already ordered lifters, chain, seals, gaskets, oil pump kit ect...
He said he wouldn't sell the cam separate.
Nice guy, knows his stuff, but running a monopoly seems.

Anyone know where else I can get a upgrade camshaft for the '04 4.6 Disco2?

Old 03-18-2014, 03:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I think they machine their cam down to fit, D&D's cam kits are known to knock the way anyways they way they machine them, I'd ask PTSchram, if anyone knows its him. I looked into this also, but I'm gonna wait till I have a full bearing knock to swap to the 4.6 w/ a cam.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

You: "Anyone know where else I can get a upgrade camshaft for the '04 4.6 Disco2?"
You don't NEED the upgrade cam, for the original cam is quite good enough on 4.6. Be extremely careful when buying cams for Rover, because a lot of them are now on market, from China and India, and they are soft non heated treated steel; will wear out quickly. Buy one that is NOT made in China or India, and one that is proven to be heat treated hard steel. Best to buy it yourself, bringing it in from England, as prices, including shipping, is better than getting one here. Do a google search, Land Rover camshaft, UK, for sources.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:17 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

there are lots of places selling Crower Camshafts

Old 03-18-2014, 08:01 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 229 on order from Crower themselves. They say it should be a drop in fit for the lr disco. Its part number 53229. I haven't received the cam yet, but will definitely update when I have.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:17 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by wallyman424
I have a 229 on order from Crower themselves. They say it should be a drop in fit for the lr disco. Its part number 53229. I haven't received the cam yet, but will definitely update when I have.
Cool, thanks for the info.
How did you buy directly from them? I can't find much of anything online about them.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:07 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

there is this new thing call are you ready GOOGLE, when you type in Crower Cams the very first site it shows you is https://www.crower.com, now thats spelled GOOGLE.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Swapping a cam is aaaaalot more work then it sounds. Yes, you will want to change all those items. And without supporting mods gains will be minial for the money spent. you will also need a custom tune, perferable on a dyno. i dont even know who makes/offers custom mapping for rover ecus. By supporting mods I mean increase throttlebody size, intake manifold possibly, ported heads and have them bench flowed to match the cam specs to the flow capabilities (which means heads come off, so everythign thats needed for a headgasket job), exhuast headers (dont even know if anyone makes them prefabbed, ive never seen em, even worse if you have SAI youd either have to delete it and the ecu trigger for it or lvie with a check engine light) and port/gasket matching all around, strighter tubes and a backpressure plates in the exhuast to match the new flow numbers, higher flow fuel injectors... yadda yadda yadda. otherwise you are basically putting a bigger mouth on the same size straw. all an engine is is an airpump, bigger cam, more air, more flow...in AND out, or gains will be minimal. if you just swap a cam, you are throwing your money away.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:41 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Be nice. The 50229 cam listed online through all the retailers is for a Buick with a distributor. Crower apparently also offers a version that has the snout machined for the Rover engines without the distributor drive. That part number is 53229. Wallyman found that out by calling Crower directly.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I wasnt trying to be mean lol sorry if I came across like that, but its an involved project... its not like bolting in 4.10 gears plug n play and be done. If its done literally just by swapping the cam its going to run like crap, the computer is going to relearn how to run back at its baseline and all will be for naught. after parts and labor the gains even on an agreesive cam will be at best 10hp at the CRANK, which would be the same gains by probably just taking out a bunch of crap to lower the vehicles weight. i think its roughly 1hp = 100lbs shed weight lol. cheaper just to strip the interior, saves gas too haha

Quick Reply: D&D & their Crower cam