Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D2 Winch Bumper & Lift

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 03:32 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D2 Winch Bumper & Lift

Guys,

I've been searching and reading and I'm not really landing on the answer. Apologies if I'm missing something obvious. I'm new to D2's and LR's. A fresh conversion from the Jeep world. I'm looking to add a winch bumper and winch. Assuming I need a HD lift to handle the weight. I'm thinking 2-3" to keep in simple. I already have 245/75/16 Duratracs mounted. Besides shocks and coils. What else do I need to complete the lift?

Old 09-23-2015, 05:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can keep it simple and start with a slow answer to at least one question. Most recommended that the most you can or want to go on the lift without getting into quite a bit more money is a 2" inch lift [Changes prop shaft angle I believe] . I'm not saying it hasn't been done before but, I believe that to be general conventional wisdom.
The other guys will have to help you out on the specifics of conversion kits...mine is an old D1 and I have made or converted all my parts for modification..not from skill..just cheap and a little crazy....

Good luck and post pics as you go. Maybe someday I will be able to afford one of those new fangled D2"s and will learn from your conversion...

Tex

Old 09-23-2015, 08:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Terrafirma +2" mediums is what I would recommend. You also might want to think about extended brake hoses as well. Stainless is the way to go. Easy to do the lift with basic tools and can be done in the garage, just make sure you have a 13mm ratchet wrench to take the front dampers off that are in side the coil spring. There are pleanty of videos on You Tube regarding this.

As far as winch bumpers go then you pay your money and take the look you want. Some more expensive than others. I got the ARB for my 2003 and the biggest downfall is that it has NO front recovery point.... a wee bit of a design flaw for a winch bumper. Alot of the Wnches can be indexd so they will fit. Personally I always use synthetic rope as I have too many issues with steel cable in the past.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:50 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

it will all depend on what bumper and what winch you will be running. the difference in bumpers and winches could be as much a couple hundred pounds.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:00 AM
Drifting

Good input on the weights. So what are the light winch bumpers that include recovery points?

Old 09-25-2015, 02:51 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by fosterjd79
Good input on the weights. So what are the light winch bumpers that include recovery points?
The first question should be: What is your budget?

Old 09-25-2015, 06:15 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by WNYErikDiscoII
The first question should be: What is your budget?
$3000 for lift and bumper.

Old 09-25-2015, 08:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Erik know's his stuff, so whatever he has to say I'd listen to.

Some guy's say there's a 2" max for just springs and shocks. Personally, I know quite a few guys running 3 inches with no issues. I'd call up Lucky 8 (Erik) and get a Terrafirma 3" lift, braided steel brake lines, and ABS line extenders just for peace of mind. I'd also remove my rear sway bar. I did mine and my road mannerisms improved shockingly enough. You can also make front sway bar disconnects pretty cheap. I did and they have caused me no trouble other than being a little difficult to disconnect if there's any load on the sway bar. That can be helped by putting some grease on them. I did a write up here, very simple.

As for bumpers, that's not my area of expertise. I love the look of the Equipe tubular winch bumper, it does have recovery points I believe, but you'll pay a very pretty penny for it. Some guy's swear by the Terrafirma bumper. No recovery points the factory, but they can be added and this bumper is very solid and cheap as far as Disco bumpers go. The ARB looks really nice, but they don't have recovery points and they stick out the front a little too far for my taste. Then there's the Platinum Front Bumper that Lucky 8 sells and is also relatively cheap and it looks pretty solid to me. Finally, you can go custom and have a shop make you up one of your own design. That's my plan, I'm going to have a tubular bumper made similar to the Equipe but a little cheaper and with a couple minor changes.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

Alex is right. Three inch TF lift. I believe that Erik and Justin will tell you that the three inch TF is a true three inches and compares with other springs at 2 inches after they all settle. Extended brake lines (+4) and extended shocks. Then pick your bumper and winch and feel like a king.

I have the ARB and a cheapo winch from Harbor Freight that works like a champ. However, the combination is on the heavy side for MD springs.

And no offense or disrespect to anyone but 3 inches does not require any other modifications. I have another 2 inches on top of that and that does whisper the need for caster correction but the first three inches made no difference in driveability at all.

Without an adjustable panhard rod your axle will shift slightly to the the left. You won't notice unless you are OCD or your tires are too big, in which case the left side will rub before the right.

Finally at three inches if you have old front driveshaft it will probably fail within a year. Mine did anyway. It was 14 years old and I was glad to get a better one to replace it.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 09-25-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

I missed part of your question. With my ARB and winch I need HD front and MD in back. I have MD all around. The front dips a little. So if you like the eager to play look, do MD. If you like the level look, get a lighter bumper or forego the winch. If you want to lean back a bit, get HD front and MD back.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 09-26-2015 at 10:58 AM.

Quick Reply: D2 Winch Bumper & Lift