Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead battery locked out of '01 Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 06:56 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead battery locked out of '01 Disco II

Really cold weather and a lack of driving completely killed the battery on my '01 Disco II. The last little bit of juice left in the system I squandered on trying to unlocked the doors with the key fob; without success. Had I known this; I would have used the actual key to open the door.

Now that the Rover was completely dead neither the key fob nor the actual key would unlock the door. I now had a boat anchor sitting in my driveway.

I called the dealership and they had never heard of this one before (surprise). I did some reasearch with other Rover owners, including this forum, which confirmed my original idea. I had to get some juice into the battery without being able to open the hood.

I removed an access panel behind the passenger side front tire and wheel weel. Three screws later I was able to easily access the hot cable from the battery box. I removed the convolute and cut away a little of the sheathing on the wire. I secured the hot clamp of my jumper cable to the exposed wire. I grounded the ground to the frame. The other ends of the jumper cable I connected in polarity to my battery charger/starter box. I set the charger to 'trickle' and plugged in the power from the outlet.

The Rover immediately came to life; alarm horn blaring and lights blinking. One lock 'click' and one unlock 'click' of the fob ended the clamity. The doors were still locked so I used the actual key tounlock the driver door. Unlatched the hood and sighed with relief.

I taped up the exposed wire I had created. A few hours later on the charger the truck started right up. I understand that there could have been some additional complications with the engine immobilization system but, I got lucky. I did here that 3 succesive lock/unlocks with the fob will remedy that situation. It is also a good idea to check the interia switch under the hood on the passenger side fire wall.

My only advise to anyone reading this is if you're going to leave your Rover set over a long cold snapand/or you don't drive your Rover a lot KEEP THE BATTERY CHARGED UP!Alternatively; pop the hood; tape the hood alarm switch down; lock the doors back;and leave the hood unlatched for the winter.

Thanks to Disco Mike from Colorado.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dead battery locked out of '01 Disco II

Thanks for sharing that one with us!!!