Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death Wobble? Truck goes crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2023 | 08:56 PM
|
Recovery Vehicle
Default Death Wobble? Truck goes crazy!

Daughter called me and said all of the sudden her truck started shakeing like crazy. So I told her to stop and let me check it out. up to about 30 mph it was ok but then at about 45mph and hit a bump the truck would start shaking like crazy (side to side mostly) and I had to wrestle it to the side of the road. Once stopped, it would do ok up to about 40 mph and then it would start again.

I got up under it and noticed the shackle in the pic was completely loose. All I had on me was channel locks to tighted the shackle, so got it as tight as I could, and was able to get it much futher even reaching about 50mph and then it happened again. We finally limped it home keeping it a about 30mph (Pissing everyone off lol).

Would this shackle connection cause this issue?

And yes, while under there I noticed I need to replace some bushings.

Old 12-05-2023 | 09:59 PM
TReK

I think the bushings or some other play (like ball joints etc) are the real issue. Your damaged steering damper mount is why you’re noticing it all of a sudden. The steering damper can hide front end problems. With the damper not working properly the front end faults are no longer being hidden.

Old 12-05-2023 | 10:54 PM
Mudding

It's that orange bushing, not the steering damper you circled. The panhard rod is what locates the front axle left and right. On my D1, if the bushing is a little loose, I get mild wobbling at ~50mph. I can re-torque the bushing a few times, but at some point, it has to be replaced. I use Super Pro urethane bushings, but OEM rubber is fine too. That orange one is aftermarket urethane and obviously torn. Super Pro are purple. Energy and Prothane are often red. The orange are probably Polybush sold by Atlantic British. Be sure to replace the bushings on both ends. I got a shop press off craigslist, better than the Harbor Freight ones, and replaced all my bushings -- got a complete kit. Since then, the panhard rod is the only one that's worn out. Mine wears a bit quicker because the frame end is replaced with a 3/4" heim joint (custom built rod). The heim lasts longer but all the play and wear goes to the one urethane bushing. I could do heims on both ends but it would be harsher without some cushion. Point being... if you replace the bushings, you'll be good to go for a long time.

Last edited by nathanb; 12-05-2023 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-06-2023 | 07:57 AM
|
Recovery Vehicle

where did you get a complete bushing kit from?

Old 12-06-2023 | 11:10 AM
Mudding

Sorry, I can't remember. It was years ago. I seem to recall it was SuperPro in Australia or it was from them via eBay. Nothing is the same now, but they have a USA website superprousa.com, Australian website superpro.com.au and a ecommerce site https://superpro.com.au/tradeview/index.php Bear in mind the .au sites are in Australian dollars -- or you'll get sticker shock.

Also bear in mind, I have a D1. For a D2 you may find more options in the US.