Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnostic Code 08,4?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 07:34 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnostic Code 08,4?

Guys,

Three Amigos have returned, $110 later the dealer says code 08,4 was stored on the system, says it's a right-front speed sensor.

Any ideas on repair paths (can I do it myself) or what's a reasonable repair cost?

Dealer says that cause may be that the rotors were replaced without replacing the pads - he says that should NEVER be done - true or false? He claims that doing so caused strange wear patterns that may be causing interference with the sensor.

Thanks!

Old 06-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Diagnostic Code 08,4?

I dis agree with the dealer on that one, the part that the speed sensor reads to get it's signal from never varies from its location, no matter what shape the brake pads are in.
There are "notches" on the inside of the rotor and the speed sensor is a magnet, everytime the "notch" pass' the magnet the computer gets a signal, depending on how often the computer gets a signal tells it how fast that wheel is spinning.
The thing with the notches on it always stays in the same place, the wheel speed sensors and get knocked around and if the magnet isint lined up correctly or is dirty and the computer doesnt get a good signal...three amigos.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

first off, what year are we talking here... are they factory rotors, a lot of aftermarket rotors have evenly spaced cooling vanes that will cause the abs to read bad, factory rotors are offset as to not create a pulsation (if we're talking d2) the sensor works off of magnetic flux created by a magnetic wheel inside youre wheel bearing, and the harmonic pulses of a aftermarket rotor with evenly spaces vanes can cause this to read false value. that said, this wont be fixed by a new sensor, so if it is a sensor that you need, which is commen, then its not the fault of the rotors. the new sensors do not just plug in either, they come with a 10ft cable and get hard-wired to the ecu, not bad to do if youre confident in your mechanical ability.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:48 AM
6th Gear

Thanks for the help guys - BTW this is a 99 Disco II w/ 109K miles.

Took it back to the mechanic who originally put the new rotors w/ the old pads and he said rotors are in exc. shape and pads still have 50% or more wear life remaining. Saw no "weird wear patterns" (as LR dealer claimed) and said they were wearing evenly, says no reason to replace pads OR rotors and thinks it's the wheel speed sensor. These are genuine LR rotors/pads so I don't think the rotors/pads are causing the issue. Additionally, the new rotors were put on in January and this is just appearing for first time in late May - if it were the rotor/pad combination I would expect it to show up sooner particularly since it gets driven 50 miles/day.

Bottom line, I think I need part SSW500020 (http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/SSW500020.cfm) which I can get for < $150 shipped. Does that sound right? If I have clear directions I feel pretty confident that I can do the job, otherwise my mechanic has offered to do it for $50 if I provide the part. Again, if anyone has directions on how to replace right front wheel speed sensor that would be EXCELLENT.

After this wheel speed sensor is replaced, is there a way to clear the code (and kill the Amigos) to see if the fix worked or does it have to go to someone with an Autologic unit?

Or, if I'm headed in the COMPLETE wrong direction here I'd appreciate some advice. My wife loves this thing, she literally starts crying when we talk about selling it.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Rock Crawling

Pulling the battery connections for a minute or two should clear any codes stored. This works for engine codes, I have not attempted it with the 'amigos'.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 06-09-2008, 01:25 PM
6th Gear

I've received the wheel speed sensor - appears to just be a sensor attached to a long cable containing two white wires. I'd love to do this work myself, anyone know how to replace front right wheel speed sensor?

Also, can anyone confirm that disconnecting the batteries will clear the Three Amigos? I need them cleared after replacing the wheel speed sensor to make sure the replacement worked.

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-24-2009, 07:05 PM
3rd Gear

Anybody have an answer for this?

I've got an 01 Disco SE with the three-amigos and a dealer telling me the right front wheel sensor is 'bad'. The local independent dealer quoted me $500 to replace the sensor and rotor and I'd rather do it myself and save the money.

TIA!

Old 02-24-2009, 07:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You dont need to replace the rotor, all you need to replace is the ABS wheel speed sensor.
www.atlanticbritish.com
It needs to be soldered into the ABS computer.
There is no plug, it is hard wired to the computer.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:29 AM
3rd Gear

Wow, that's lame (the no plug thing) but it sounds doable.

Just a few more questions:
Do I have to run the new one all the way to the computer or can I splice it in where ever is easiest to solder?
Any special tools or care (ie gotchas) needed to perform?
I'm pretty handy and have decent experience working on (mostly american) cars..do I need to buy a manual for it because this one is a bit pricey...
And which sensor: This or this?

Thanks Spike!

Old 02-25-2009, 12:53 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If in fact your sensors is the only problem and not the hub or rotor, then go to Rover Connection for a really good price.