Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DII Won't take transmission fluid or shift into gear :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Engine must be running when checking the fluid level.

DII Won't take transmission fluid or shift into gear :(-image-353150127.jpg

Last edited by jafir; 09-21-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Posey Hedges
Wife states that her 2002 Disco with 118k on the odometer stalled when coming to a stop light. Restarted the engine, but later the truck felt like the transmission was slipping.

Once the truck was cool I crawled under to check the tranny fluid level, anticipating the trans level was low. Loosened the filler screw, and to my surprise almost a quart of ATF came pouring out of the filler hole.

Now what? Reluctant to start the engine. Thank for any advice.
No opinion on the 'slipping', but I have observed that :
- If you let the vehicle rest (and cool) for several hours or a day, fluid will pour out from the fill plug.
- In same conditions, getting home and checking level while hot, nothing will come out at the fill plug.
- Checking at cold idle as supposed, nothing comes out of the fill plug level.

But I know now I was low on fluid during these observations.

So far to this moment, no takers ----> https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...d-level-69299/

Old 09-21-2014, 07:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The engine needs to be running and cold when checking the transmission level. Transmission fluid expands as it gets hot so if you check the level hot it may appear full when in fact it is not. When you fill the transmission up you want to do it first thing in the morning while the engine is stone cold. Fill the transmission up as much as you can and put the plug back on, Start the truck and run through the gears real quick, return to Park, and try and pump more fluid in there as fast as possible. It's worth it to check the level the next morning when it's cold again to see if it can take any more.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:07 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for the advice. I picked up a new filter and gasket, and 8 quarts of ATF. Followed the collective advice on this thread, and it appears all is right again.

Turns out the original complaint probably had nothing to do with the tranny. I checked codes, and there were over a dozen, mostly pointing to the IACV and MAS. So, I cleaned these components and the throttle control valve using, generally, this video as a guide...

Apparently a contender for Best dressed Rover mechanic ;-). Nonetheless, the engine is once again purring like a kitten.

I learned two things today... pull codes before blindly tearing into something, and add ATF when the engine is cold and running. Thanks again.

Last edited by Posey Hedges; 09-21-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:05 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My problem turned out to be a (loose) torque converter. Apparently, the kid we bought this truck from left (one bolt or two) in the thing. This was after finding a good second hand transmission, we found the loose TC ; and she's been running fine for quite some time now. My friend at the Tranny shop was surprised the truck made it as far is it had with the TC being that loose.