Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

disco 2 shaking and squeking

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 03:19 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disco 2 shaking and squeking

I have a 99 disco2 and it has 116k miles on it now and I have had no trouble out of it but recently it started to shake when I am going around 40mph and faster ony when I am in the gas. It feels sort of like tires out of balance but I know it's not that it only happens when your in the throttle and it happened all of a sudden about a week ago just started getting shaky in the steering wheel and in the floor. Also at the same time it started to squeek when I pull out it only squeeks when I am going slow and pulling out usually when its cold. I thought it might be universal joints but shaking them they seem fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: disco 2 shaking and squeking

Could have lost a wheel balancing weight. I'm just saying this cause mine has been doing the same. As soon as I'm going fast enough for my transmission to be in it's last speed, I feel the shaking. I was just blaming it on un-balanced wheels. But could be something with the transmission. I was going to start by making sure that the wheels are well balanced, and go from there. Whatever you find, I'm interested.

You should just shift to the gear before overdrive as your feeling the shaking and see if it disapears.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Have you ever changed the front u-joints in the front drive shaft, especially the two inside the constant velocity joint. If you haven't, I would sugget you stop drive the truck till you get that shaft rebuilt. They are know to fail and can take the trannty out when they fail.
Mike

Old 02-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Do we need aspecific make greasableU-joints??? how many do we need ???? anything else is needed???

Old 02-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Rock Crawling

There is a VERY good chance that the source of your vibration is the flex joint on the rear driveshaft. This is a doughnut shaped rubber piece with metal inserts --- that connects the driveshaft to the rear differential input flange. It is considered a wear item on these vehicles that lasts 40-80K miles depending on the vehicle usage. They crack --- and then the shaft cannot run on true axis, and a vibration results. The part is about $100.

regards,
Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com

Old 02-23-2007, 10:51 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If you are not familiar with dive lines, have a shop check it out.
Geoman is right, the roto flex could also be failing as can the constant velocity joints.
Mike

Old 02-23-2007, 02:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I work at sears auto centerand we put it on the lift and all the head mechanics looked at it also with me and because they do not know what to look for in a land rover we did not really see anything that was not normal with the u joints and everything seemed to be tight. the only thing i noticed was the front driveshaft will turn about a 1/4 turn left and right either way, i did not know if this was normal or not but when you do, it makes a slapping sound which i can hear when i put it in reverse or when i am drifting down a hill or something and give it gas.