Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

disco turns off and hazard lights on

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 06:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Engine shutting down and hazard lights flashing - sounds like the inertia switch is tripping.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you done any repairs on the truck recently that would have required you to take anything apart?

Check all of your ground cables.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The last thing I remove it was the throtle body.. to clean it and to fix a water leake... justa that.... but the problem is not new,.. it has more than a year... it is until now that is more frecuent.... and for the ground points..I just start checking that... cleaning all that is under the hood and engine....

Today I has to disconnect the battery for a while, to reset the fault.. hazard lights flashing...did not respond with the remote control...

What is the inertia switch?????

And for the p0140 code... o2 sensor ... today I disconnect the sensor and in the female one.. the one to the harness.. there is a dirty terminal..looks with some rust... I going to clean it an see if this fix that code....

thanks for read.. and continue cleaning ground points... any other idea to check ???

Old 01-12-2014, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Here is pix and location of inertia, press down in center of top to firmly reset. The function of the inertia switch is to shut down the fuel system in a crash and unlock the doors so people who come to help can drag you out of the vehicle.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 inertia.pdf (61.8 KB, 255 views)
Old 01-12-2014, 08:39 AM
Three Wheeling

ok.ok... I got it... but is a but... this switch cut the gas... and my disco turns on again, in Neutral or Park... just keep the flashing hazard on... fast and low....

Old 01-12-2014, 10:40 PM
Three Wheeling

hey I found this thread..... https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...h-49945/page2/

it has the same symptoms like mine.,,, and the responsable is tha Alarm ECU or Alarm Control Unit.... I am thinking in replace this module, but some one knows if it needs to be programmed ??? or just disconnect and connect...???

Thanks...

Old 01-13-2014, 08:32 PM
Three Wheeling

never mind... I read better and that module is for Disco I ..... so bad I was thinking that I found the solution....

an update... I finished checking all ground points and all are ok... I cleaned anyway one by one....

any more that can be checked....

thanks...to all

Old 01-28-2014, 07:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Default inertia switch...

hi, I back again... Another update, to comment what I do to my disco...

I took look to the inertia switch, and I found that it doesn't have the rubber cap.. so I disconnect it and check it... it looks so dirty and with rust inside.. so, I decide is time to change it......
I don't know if this was causing the problem.... take a look to the pic... but it is suspect due to the bad shape of the inner parts.... so I done this change 2 weeks ago.. aprox... and the truck worked good until now.....

Maybe, due to the rust and dirty, it was working wrong or giving a false inidcation to the ECU/BCU...maybe....or have some humidity that causing this malfunction ....

Thanks to all and just to letting know what was or probably was the problem... hope to be helpful for someone else...

see you.

today has been almost 3 months..
no more problems with the hazard lights and/or engine dies...
so the problem was THE INERTIA SWITCH .....

Attached Thumbnails disco turns off and hazard lights on-sam_0318.jpg  

Last edited by marizcal; 04-26-2014 at 08:34 PM. Reason: confirm what was the problem...
Old 09-18-2016, 09:21 PM
Three Wheeling

ok guys and gals.. just to confirm.. it was the inertia switch.. since I changed.. no more engine off and hazard lights on... It is been more than 2 years.. nice..

Old 09-20-2016, 02:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Can someone award this man for coming back almost 2 years later to confirm his problem. You sir, should be team player of the year. !