Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery I 4WD lock-up

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery I 4WD lock-up

I've got a problem with my '96 Discovery I. The 4WD light is lit up on the dash and no matter how I move the transfer case shifter, I can not get the light to turn off. In addition to the dash light, the vehicle drives like it is locked in 4WD, meaning it's rough and difficult to turn. Is that the differential lock?

I took it to my local foreign auto mechanic (trustworthy guys), but they can't access the computer code to tell them what the problem is. They said only the Land Rover dealer can do that and all other mechanics are locked out of those codes.

Several years ago, I took the vehicle in to the local Land Rover dealer with a problem, and vowed that I would never take it back to those thieves. It is cold in the Northwest (it even snowed yesterday), but Hell hasn't frozen over yet... so I still have no desire to take my Discovery into the local dealership.

If ANY of you guys can give me some advice regarding what the problem might be, and what needs to be done to address it, I would REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks!

Old 04-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes your CDL (center diff lock) is locked.
The light lets you know that it is locked and there will not be any trouble codes.
With the truck moving under 5mph move the CDL shifter back and to the right, so passenger side and towards the back of the truck.
How did it get engaged to begin with?
The light may not go out right away, and you may need to reverse the truck several yards to "unwind" the transfer case so that it will unlock the CDL.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Overlanding

I got stuck in the snow about six weeks ago (right off my driveway) and engaged the center differential lock in order to get out of the snow. I still couldn't get out, and had to wait until a couple of weeks ago for the snow to melt enough to drive out.

Thanks for the tips. I will give them a try tonight.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Rick, as Spike has mentioned, your linkage is most likely bond up. There are no codes for this. You could go under the truck and manually disconnect the linkage and shift it out of 4wheel.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:33 AM
Mudding

its always a good idea to engage and dissengage your diff-lock once in awhile to make sure it stays freed up. the linkage is finiky once out of lock drive in reverse a ways then shift in drive light should go bye bye

Old 04-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Overlanding

Thanks for the great (and quick) advice, guys! I tried everything you posted, except for checking and lubricating the linkage under the vehicle.

The deal is that the transfer case shift **** has no problem moving into L, N, or H. But even when it's in HIGH, the icon light on the dash (depicting 4 wheels and the transmission) will not go out. I have driven it in reverse, then drive... but no change.

When driving, I feel a difference when the transfer case shifter is in L or H, and of course in N the vehicle doesn't go anywhere.

Could the transfer case shifter move without disengaging the linkage? Like if the linkage is bent or broken? What would cause the dash light not to go out?

I can feel/hear something move under the vehicle when the shifter moves from L to H. But again, the dash light does not go off.

My Discovery is stuck in my office parking lot (has been for two days) because I am afraid to drive it if the differential is locked.

Any further ideas (before it gets towed?)

HELP!

Old 04-16-2009, 06:26 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The light might not go off at the same time you move the CDL lever, mine stays lit for a few yards after I disengage it.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:03 AM
Default linkage binding

Hi folks, I have a 97 Disco 1 and I want to try to lube up the linkage so I can get the truck into 4WD and I took the console out but everything seems to be riveted together? Am I missing something? It's an automatic-

Thanks,

Peter