Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery II Coolant Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 10:09 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
radiator. seems to always be the radiator. was it rodded?
Its brand new. Maybe its bad? How would I know? If it is a bad one I still have my old one ready to go back in, hope not.

--Mike

Old 03-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OOps. Sorry. I got my threads crossed. Thought we were talking D1's. It's probably not the radiator if it's new. I think Sava rec'd that you check for headgaskets with the chemical test. Listen to one of those guys for sure.

Any white smoke at the tailpipe? That's supposed to be a big sign of HG problems.

I'm working on my D2 cooling system and what I did was:
1. replaced all hoses including lower(one more to go)
2. checked thoroughly for leaks by wiping everything clean and examining a few days running.
3. swapped t connector and stock thermostat for inline thermostat 180 degrees
4. replaced radiator

i'm running distilled water only for now insuring it is full every morning. it still has remnants of DEX orange coolant so I am going to change that last hose then,

5. professional flush out orange
6. do a compression test to insure there are no leaks
7. fill with 50/50 green and add one bottle of waterwetter

my concern is i'm losing liquid. if i'm still losing liquid after all that I need to do the chemical test for headgaskets. i do not have white smoke and my temps are right where they should be...they may be lower when i go to the proper coolant/ww mix.

it's a long process but i plan on keeping the truck regardless of headgasket prblms and as a senior junior asst. coffee getter mechanic i need to be 100% sure of each component. other guys would say i'm throwing parts at it maybe.

this is essentially the way I cured my D1 overheating and that was plaguing me for years.

i love the helpers here but often when they talk it goes right over my head...i read a lot, make my own decisions and then bounce them off the guys. i'm sure i bore many but thats the way i gotta go.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Unlikely new radiator is the issue - but when it is warmed up, and engine off, feel across the fins and see if temp about the same top to bottom (within 20 degrees). Could also be old dexcool clogging up heater core.

More likely, with all the work, small trash in system has found the little metering holes on top of the thermostat. The size and quantity of the holes control how fast hot coolant mixes with cold coolant from the radiator, and gets the thermostat to open. If replacing stat, go OEM.

Coolant flow path diagram attached.

Attached Thumbnails Discovery II Coolant Issue-utf-8bsu1hltiwmtexmje4ltawmjgzlmpwzw-1.jpg   Discovery II Coolant Issue-utf-8bsu1hltiwmtexmje4ltawmjkwlmpwzw.jpg   Discovery II Coolant Issue-utf-8bsu1hltiwmtexmje4ltawmjkzlmpwzw.jpg   Discovery II Coolant Issue-dexcool.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 coolant flow 2.pdf (62.7 KB, 202 views)
Old 03-20-2012, 10:45 AM
Pro Wrench

Sava...he has the new rad so it probably isnt that...but..he says the system was all gunked up (and you say blockage) so what can he do about that..chem flush?

Also, I don't recall what he said about waterpump and new thermostat.

i'm out of my league but i'm a pretty good tech troubleshooter.....and i speak non-mechanic.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago KC
First off I would like to thank all of the participants on this board (double thanks to Disco Mike!), I've been reading the board for a while in order to keep my truck on the road.

Last weekend I finished a head gasket replacement on my '03 Discovery (including the full machine shop job on the heads), replaced the oil and coolant and tested the truck, and that's where things got ugly. I took a short 4 block trip on flat ground (I realized then that I hadn't fully bled the system but had filled it until the coolant came out of the screw bleeder) and as I returned to my driveway the the temp gauge started to go over center and when I stopped the truck the hose from the radiator to the (new, but aftermarket from Atlantic British) thermostat let loose at the lower thermostat opening and spilled a pool of coolant on the driveway. After cleaning that up I reinstalled the thermostat with a new screw clamp, bled the system and started the truck with a code reader attached to the OBD II port. The temps soon rose over the 205 degree level of full thermostat open to the 220-225 degree level, because I was working on bleeding the system I had the coolant cap off and coolant started bubbling out of the top of the reservoir; this happened a few times before I called it a night. The only codes thrown involved the MAF which I had cleaned with MAF cleaner while reassembling the top end (and may need to be replaced). When the engine was turned off the coolant reservoir needed to refilled although it was not fully empty.

My shade tree mechanic guess (much of my previous experience is with Porsche 356 and 912 engines so obviously there's pretty limited coolant knowledge gained from those babies!) is a clogged or otherwise messed up radiator but I'm fearful of something worse - Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I should proceed? When I get home tonight I will check the oil and oil filler pipe for evidence of coolant contamination (any suggestions there?) but any further helpful suggestions would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance!
It honestly sounds like you just didn't bleed and fill the coolant system right. You are correct that you fill until coolant flows out of the bleed screw but you need to elevate the reservoir at least 8 inches above the the top radiator hose. Then when you replace the bleed screw you can top it off and replace the reservoir cap. Do this when the engine is completely cold.

Old 03-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
It honestly sounds like you just didn't bleed and fill the coolant system right. You are correct that you fill until coolant flows out of the bleed screw but you need to elevate the reservoir at least 8 inches above the the top radiator hose. Then when you replace the bleed screw you can top it off and replace the reservoir cap. Do this when the engine is completely cold.
I did exactly that, however could always do it again. It is possible there is air in the system I guess. I will let it cool until morning and then try again.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 03-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Pro Wrench

but you need to elevate the reservoir at least 8 inches above the the top radiator hose.
I don't see how you do that with the hard plastic lines attached. Mine broke this week just wiping it clean. I'm liking the silicone hose idea more and more.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, on mine there are no hard plastic lines to break. I bypassed the throttle body heater plate. So it's pretty much lift up, snap off and on again.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:40 AM
Pro Wrench

Well, on mine there are no hard plastic lines to break. I bypassed the throttle body heater plate. So it's pretty much lift up, snap off and on again.
Hmmm. need to research that. any info would be appreciated.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:07 AM
Three Wheeling

Funny, I did the same thing! My throttle plate was leaking and I purchased a kit. I decided just to bypass it in the mean time, never got around to installing the new plate and have been driving that way for a couple months.

--Mike

Quick Reply: Discovery II Coolant Issue