Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery Stero Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by oysterhead
if you're going to install an aftermarket stereo, you'll need a metra harness. for my stereo i had to use the harness for hi-level pass through, metra 70-9401.
most of our trucks use the low level harness that oysterhead bought first (70-1786) he has a rare rover that uses the high level harness. You can PM me and we can find out for sure.

but yes you will lose your steering wheel controls with aftermarket unless you buy an adapter, and you can find the removal keys at quite a few places, Walmart and best buy sometimes have them, or many auto parts stores.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:51 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased a 2000 Disco and am trying to put a stereo in it the guy at the parts store said http://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-1786-.../dp/B0007WRQG2 would be a good fit but thats not what I'm seeing that you guys used. Let me know cause the tape deck is killing me!

Old 04-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced my unit in my 2004 Dicovery two years ago. I bought the new Alpine unit online with Crutchfield. They were very helpful in making sure everything I got was compatible. And, called them a couple times when I was installing and had questions. They provide installation tech support if you buy the equipment there. Added a nice Apline system with XM radio and the iPOD cable and control capability. Very happy with it. Had a problem with the XM module and they helped me out with support a year after the fact (needed to remove the XM receiver and flash with some new firmware). If your starting fresh and haven't bought anything yet, I would recommend them.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Park it in my friends barn, it will get removed for you.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:48 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by asrial32
I just purchased a 2000 Disco and am trying to put a stereo in it the guy at the parts store said http://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-1786-.../dp/B0007WRQG2 would be a good fit but thats not what I'm seeing that you guys used. Let me know cause the tape deck is killing me!
Yep, that's your best bet.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:33 AM
Mudding

I assume that it has the same set up at my 2000 disco. If no then disregard this message. If that is the case it is a single din style, so most head units will work. there is just a small plastic piece that is on the bottom but a single unit will fit perfectly. You can get a cover piece for the bottom but it is not really noticeable. Remember that you have factory amplifiers that need to be powered if you are using them. You can do that and just turn down the output on the aftermarket head units output or by pass the amps and run new wires. If you are replacing the unit with a high quality one i would recommend doing the bypass. It is not too hard and you will end up with a better sound. I did mine about six months back and bypassed the factory amps but used the crossovers and factory speakers with two aftermarket 12s with twin 750 rms amps for them. Do you have the H/K system in yours? Also it can get sort of crowded behind the head unit if you start to add DVD, navigation, and Ipod controlls but you can sort of shove it into different crevices under the dash and get it all in there. Let me know if you need some help on it. I will try and get a pic of my head unit setup tomorrow if i can.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:43 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by greenwade
I assume that it has the same set up at my 2000 disco. If no then disregard this message. If that is the case it is a single din style, so most head units will work. there is just a small plastic piece that is on the bottom but a single unit will fit perfectly. You can get a cover piece for the bottom but it is not really noticeable. Remember that you have factory amplifiers that need to be powered if you are using them. You can do that and just turn down the output on the aftermarket head units output or by pass the amps and run new wires. If you are replacing the unit with a high quality one i would recommend doing the bypass. It is not too hard and you will end up with a better sound. I did mine about six months back and bypassed the factory amps but used the crossovers and factory speakers with two aftermarket 12s with twin 750 rms amps for them. Do you have the H/K system in yours? Also it can get sort of crowded behind the head unit if you start to add DVD, navigation, and Ipod controlls but you can sort of shove it into different crevices under the dash and get it all in there. Let me know if you need some help on it. I will try and get a pic of my head unit setup tomorrow if i can.
Yes I do have the H/K set up and the amps I hooked up the stereo sort of the right way.I have the unit installed and the wiring harness works fine although it is a little strange that the third harness that comes out of the back of the factory deck goes nowhere.So all hooked up right and I go to lock the car w/ the key fob it does nothing (I replaced the battery) still nothing replaced the factory head unit thinking that I messed something up and still nothing? All I know for sure is that getting a mp3 player in my Disco is not a fun task.Thanks for all your help guys!
2000 Disco 2
77k Original
Rutland Red( rare color)

Attached Thumbnails Discovery Stero Removal-dsc04037.jpg   Discovery Stero Removal-dsc04041.jpg  
Old 04-05-2010, 08:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

not sure if it is the same on the D2's but if you stuffed anything back into the radio cavity you could have unplugged or even damaged the spider which controls the starter kill, or just pulled on wires going to the security module.