Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do crankshaft pos sensors fail with no warning?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 08:06 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the responses...

my condolances to Psichotic... ouch... $978 hurts me... I actually can feel your pain...

Does anyone have any ideas about the ruff engine noise I think I heard when it started up after sitting for an hour or so?

I'm assuming it was the sort of noise an engine with a crapped out crankshaft sensor would make.

Cheers,

Thomas

Old 05-16-2012, 10:40 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DonRW2007
Would love to hear that story, if it's not too recent (and therefore painful) to tell...
Long story short... new to area, didnt know any qualified mechanics, picked one off a recommendation. Everybody on this site said it was CPS after my description...tell him that says he replaced it.. nearly 2 weeks of "troubleshooting" and I give him a detailed how to install a CPS with wiring diagram from Savannah Buzz and its fixed the next morning. 780.00 in labor.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:43 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Psichotic
Long story short... new to area, didnt know any qualified mechanics, picked one off a recommendation. Everybody on this site said it was CPS after my description...tell him that says he replaced it.. nearly 2 weeks of "troubleshooting" and I give him a detailed how to install a CPS with wiring diagram from Savannah Buzz and its fixed the next morning. 780.00 in labor.

And I thought I got hosed with a $500 dollar bill from the dealership when mine went. Ouch. Burn.....

Old 05-17-2012, 03:41 AM
Three Wheeling

Mine went out last year with no warning. The CPS set me back about 70, and 6 hours on the install. It have me fits trying to plug out back in. there was only about 2-3 inches of pigtail, and of coarse there es no way to get my hand up. So a couple of long pliers.got it done.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

It is easier to get it plugged in, and let it hang down while you attach the sensor. Noise is not good. See pix.

Sensor is basically a coil of wire around a rod that forms a tip. The tip is in close alignment with a reluctor disk with teeth or slots (newer engines, usually in D2 - but people swap engines, so both are shown). As teeth or slots fly by the tip, a voltage is created. There is a space of two missing teeth built in to tell ECU when disc has made a full circle. The pulse count makes the rpm reading the ECU uses for a variety of things and sends to other modules. In a D2 it makes the tach, in a GEMS D1 tach drive is from alternator, but ECU still uses CKP signals, and they show up on the OBDII port.

Unit must go back on in precise alignment with spacers and bolts all put back in same order. There is a difference in spacer size for auto trans vs manual trans trucks. Again, just another junkyard surprise for those harvesting perfectly good OEM parts on the cheap.

Noise can be tip bent and trying to bend or break off teeth of the disk. Once recent post of a successful weld tooth back on in the truck without pulling tranny (damn good welder).

Attached Thumbnails do crankshaft pos sensors fail with no warning?-ckp-sensor-internal.jpg   do crankshaft pos sensors fail with no warning?-d1-reluctor-ring-oil-pan.jpg   do crankshaft pos sensors fail with no warning?-reluctor-3.jpg   do crankshaft pos sensors fail with no warning?-reluctor-2.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 ckp.pdf (1.55 MB, 99 views)
Old 05-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

installed the new crankshaft pos sensor.

thanks to the how-to sticky (which told me I needed 7mm and 8mm sockets)
and Savanah Buzz's comment (about connecting the sensor from above before installing it).. it only took me an hour and a half... I was surprised how easy it was for me, but I can totally see how it would be a major PITA for anyone with hands larger than mine.

I haven't heard any noises didn't at start up or while running...
bosch crankshaft position sensor at O'Rielly Autoparts cost me $75 plus tax.