Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do original propellor shafts have zircs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:41 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Do original propellor shafts have zircs?

I just bought a 01, Disco SE with 130k, excellent body, new tires for a little over 3k.

I changed the tranny fluid and it was perfect and the filter was clean, no velvety sludge in the pan.

The coolant was not Dexcool rather clean and clear yellow universal type. I flushed the radiator anyway. No sludge, clean as a drinking fountain. I had to buy a new expansion tank, due to burning the original one with a hot trouble light, but I observed that it does not use a drop of coolant. I am changing the water pump and thermostat this week.

I was changing the gear lube in the differentials and the transfer caes. It was a little discolored but not bad. I noticed grease zircs on the u joints on both drive shafts. I, of course greased them. If they have zircs, does that mean they are replacements?

I thought the valve covers were leaking a little. I bought a 12 point 5/16, 1/4 inch drive socket and tightened the accesible valve cover bolts a 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Washed the engine with degreaser and no oil appears to be leaking after a week of driving.

I changed the brake and power steering fluids, they were a little discolored but not bad just a little dirty but not broken down.

I presured tested the cooling system before I bought it and it holds 14 lbs steady.

I replaced the plugs, they looked like they had been replaced, just normal grey brown color with no outlayers. Real easy job took less than an hour, only hard one was the front one on the drivers side.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The front shaft has to have multiple zerks if it was replaced or rebuilt. On the double end. From Tom's write up in the tech section.

Attached Thumbnails Do original propellor shafts have zircs?-correct_zerk_location.jpg