Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing a Major 100k service on my 01 Disco this month

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012 | 06:08 AM
Mudding

Mine was close to as bad as yours as far as being black gunky like that and I changed oil frequently and flushed a few times. That stuff does not come out unless you use a wire brush. Trust me. I had to sand blast most off. Just pop the valves out while the head is off and use some lapping compound andreseat the valves along with new stem seals. They come in the AB head gasket kit. The valve covers are a nightmare to clean. I didn't do anything to my head bolts... just used a breaker bar to get them loose.

Old 02-12-2012 | 07:08 AM
Baja

take you heads to your local radiator shop and heve them "hot tanked" the same as they do to a radiator. The only think it could possibly effect is the valve guide seals which come in the AB kit, and your heads will look brand new.

Last edited by drowssap; 02-12-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 02-12-2012 | 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

We've heard $200 (small shops) to $500 (Chicago). One rule of thumb - a machine shop is normally a very clean place. Not like my pal Bubba and his belt sander... lol.

Old 02-12-2012 | 11:30 PM
Rock Crawling

I am following your progress with much interest but I hope I never need to do this.
Your garage looks so clean and organised, now i now why my wife is not happy with my work in the garage and I don't even do 1/10th of what you have just done in your garage.

Old 02-13-2012 | 11:17 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Jared9220
I hope that I can enjoy my Rover problem free for a few years after this service.
I hope you will enjoy it problem free for many years to come. Mine seem to be leaking from every where, just knowing this bothers me.

I try to keep my garage as clean and organized as possible. There's nothing worse then looking for a tool or part you can't find.
Constatntly looking for tools, now I know why

I make time after every night working to clean up the floor and put all the tools away in there correct spots.
Unfortunately, I cannot say the same, even though I so much want to have a clean garage. I say, I will need to continue to work so hy clean up now. i know not a good attitude

Anyone can take a car apart.
Not anyone

The hard part is putting everything back together correctly.
For sure not anyone, I overestimated myself few times, I hope i am not going to do it again

Try and screw all bolts/nuts back into the holes/studs they came off of and label all plugs and connectors to make sure everything goes back on correct. Take tons of Pictures if needed.
This is a very good advise.
If I follow your example, my wife will be very happy.

Old 02-13-2012 | 10:55 PM
Mudding

I literally just got done doing mine today. I said screw it and tore everything down. I didnt have the $ to send my heads out tho so I just put new stem seals in, sand blasted them, and relapped the valve seats. Very happy with the job and how well it runs now. I'm like you... look forward to a couple of years of "trouble free" service now. I must have drank $200 in beer during the process.

Old 02-14-2012 | 07:23 AM
Rock Crawling

The shop that did my heads (hot tank, media blast, new valve seals, measure/test springs, measure valves, machine surface) was $475.

Old 02-14-2012 | 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

In the tech section is a write up on a $50 cross ref fan clutch that fits early 2000 Chevys, the non/AC version. It will be 6 inch diameter, reverse direction, and screw right on to your water pump. Will have to enlarge mount holes on fan blade slightly.

Any idea on your oil PSI before the work?

Old 02-14-2012 | 07:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Hey Disco Mike

I had that water pump with brass impeller installed a bit a go when mine blew up... As for the radiator (expansion) cap - don't know how old mine is (suspect 11 years). Good preventive maintenance?

Old 02-15-2012 | 10:53 AM
Rock Crawling

I am now 100% complete with my break down. I finally got around to pulling the water pump and front cover.
Attachment 8384
I checked my oil pump gears and guess what I found?
Attachment 8382
I sure am glad that I went the extra mile and checked this while doing the heads. I feel justified now with all my work on this 100k mile service. If I didn't catch this now it could have been game over for my engine.

As far as I know my 01 disco dose not fall in the Vin. death range for oil pumps and this was still an issue. In my opinion (from reading similar cases on all disco's) the oil pump gear kit should be added to mike's 60K major service or at least done at a 100k mile service. It seems to be a very common problem on all disco's not just the 2003's.

I need some help finding a few part numbers before ordering everything.

1) Replacment fan clutch
2) These rubber plugs in the oil pan
Attachment 8383
I am glad you found the cracked oil pump, the gear are selling fro about 150, i think it includes a new gasket.
Did you have any ticking? if yes, was it there only at idle when engine was warm or could you describe your ticking?
Thanks

Quick Reply: Doing a Major 100k service on my 01 Disco this month