Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing a Major 100k service on my 01 Disco this month

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 10:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got the heads back today

Originally Posted by Jared9220
Here is how to bleed the brakes:
Attachment 19770

Just start at the front right and bleed until the fluid is clear. Make sure that the reservoir never goes empty. Then do the same step for the front left, right rear, left rear, in that order.

The only other thing I can think that you may want to do while the engine is apart is the front cover gasket and maybe the oil pump gears. Totally your call. If you decide to do the front cover gasket then you might as well do the oil pan gasket since you have to take off the front cover to change it, if you do it now you can skip that step and just drop the pan. I would use RTV around the whole oil pan gasket not just the 4 corners the RAVE shows.

I'm a little nervous going beyond the HG, water pump and other minor maintenance.

Thanks for the brake info.

I took off the water pump today. Crazy gasket I'll start putting everything back together tomorrow or Thursday. Do you think it's possible to contact you for some advice? I noticed your down the way.

Doing a Major 100k service on my 01 Disco this month-img_1808.jpg

Doing a Major 100k service on my 01 Disco this month-img_1809.jpg

Doing a Major 100k service on my 01 Disco this month-img_1810.jpg

Doing a Major 100k service on my 01 Disco this month-img_1811.jpg

Old 02-14-2014, 10:27 AM
Three Wheeling

The heads look great! Did you take the machine shop the new valve stem seals to put on also?

There seems to be a few of you guys up in Austin, but no one down here in San Antonio . Honestly, I think I would be a better help to you on here with the aid of pictures, but I will for sure PM you my phone number if you think you have a problem you can describe to me over the phone. If you get in an emergency situation (knock on wood) I can probably even drive up there to help out.

It's only about 45 minutes to Austin from San Antonio, but in a rover that is more like an hour. I actually just moved to a new house south of San Antonio in Floresville, so that adds about 40 minutes to the trip but I can get there fairly quick (by Texas standards). You can drive through whole states in the same time it takes to reach another city in Texas.

Are you on the North or South side of Austin? It would be really nice if you were in Buda

I start putting everything back on tonight and tomorrow. You mentioned maybe driving up. If you wake up Saturday and feel like taking a trip to Austin(Round Rock) i'd def pay for gas and lunch. Never hurts having some knowledgeable eyes walking me through it. Either way I'm grateful for the help you've provided already.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:28 AM
Three Wheeling

I wanted to make one suggestion that I wish I had done. I found these instructions on cannibalV8.com and they suggest using RTV along the whole valley pan seal (not just the 4 corners the RAVE shows) and also they use sealant around the water jackets on the heads.

Valley Pan Gasket & End Seals

I didn't use RTV around the water jackets and I only used it on the 4 corners the RAVE suggest and have had ZERO problems, but it does seem like a good idea to do it there way and if I ever have to redo my heads that is how I'd do it. Just something to think about.

This was informative, actually I like the whole site.

I'll be following there advice on the valley gasket. They also had me considering the Stud kit. I already bought bolts so may be next time...hopefully a long time from now

Old 02-14-2014, 10:52 PM
Three Wheeling

Good news J.

It looks like my wife has other plans tomorrow and if you still think you want some help and really are willing to pay for my gas, then I can make it up to Round Rock in the morning.
I was looking at mapquest and it is going to be around $60 total in gas for the round trip to Round Rock. If you are still cool with that then PM or Text me your address and I'll put it in the old GPS and take off around 6 or 7am. I can leave later if you want but I think it's better to start early. I should make it by 9am unless that it to early.

Hope you still have your release papers, but no need for the hair cut...maybe just comb it

Old 02-15-2014, 08:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

jwalk
I'm also in Round Rock so if you run into a bind let me know.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:22 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ralphobell
jwalk
I'm also in Round Rock so if you run into a bind let me know.
Thanks for the shout.

Jared came through big time today. He drove out from San Antonio to help me with the heads and give me some advice. I think I would have been a nervous wreck constantly guessing if I was doing everything right.

I'll be working on it all day Monday, but I'll hit ya if I run into any probs.

thx

Old 05-13-2014, 08:57 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Disco Mike;298550]Have you ever heard, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"?
Why would you o head gaskets or a t/case reseal.
Save your money and do what does need to be done to any new high mileage Disco and follow my list at the top of this section along with rebuild/replacing the front drive shaft if it hasn't been done yet. Do not flush the tranny just do a conventional drain and refill with a new filter. Also get rid of the Decool coolant and shift over to one of the better green coolants.
As for the CDL, odds are your t/case has it and all you need
Got a question, I am about to do a head gasket on land rover discovery 2 4.0 2002 do I need the whole head gasket kit or only the head gaskets and head bolts TX.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:15 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

AB even sells a kit with the stock sty bolts if you wish to go that way

Old 12-02-2014, 10:06 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question Jared. I am a super noob. I am planning a head gasket overhaul. Do I need to pull the radiator, battery, drain the oil etc? Or can I just remove things till I get to the HG? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I know its a HG repair due to massive pressure coming from the coolant reservoir and CO^2 coming out as well. I already have a AB bosche HG kit on the way and bolt kit. I am planning to take the heads to a machine shop down the street.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:44 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by William Kahapea
Quick question Jared. I am a super noob. I am planning a head gasket overhaul. Do I need to pull the radiator, battery, drain the oil etc? Or can I just remove things till I get to the HG? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I know its a HG repair due to massive pressure coming from the coolant reservoir and CO^2 coming out as well. I already have a AB bosche HG kit on the way and bolt kit. I am planning to take the heads to a machine shop down the street.
You should start a new thread. You do not need ot pull the rad or battery. I would drain the oil. Since you have pressure and CO2 from the expansion tank, you may want to pressure test the block to rule out a crack behind a cylinder liner.

The following users liked this post:
William Kahapea (12-03-2014)