Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivetrain wobble, I think

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivetrain wobble, I think

So through the research on this forum I understand there are major driveshaft issues with the Disco II's and I think thats what I'm getting but not sure.

On anykind of acceleration there is a wobble that feels like its coming from the drivetrain. I can feel it in the seat but no bad in the steering wheel. I've got expierence with wobbles from suspension and wheel balancing from my jeep (yeah to death wobble) but this doesn't feel like that. It only happens under power, as soon as I let up on the gas at all it goes away.

Is there a way to confirm that my driveshaft is actually going or not? Or are there any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:13 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Before you go there, have you had your tires inspected, balance and rotated.
If the tire are good, us can remove the drive shaft and engage the CDL to throw all the power to the rear diff.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:31 PM
Drifting

I just put brand new tires on it about a month ago.

Sorry if I sound dumb but I'm new to the Rovers but does the Disco II's have CDL? If so how do I engage it. I think I've only got a "Hi-Lo" shifter. Sorry, this is on a 2000 Discovery II.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Your DII transfer case has CDL, but your shifter has no way to engage it. Basic summary: DIs all had CDL. When the DII came out, the wise men at LR decided that the DII didn't need CDL since it had traction control. To save money, they left the CDL equipped transfer case alone, and just changed the shifter, so that it no longer worked the CDL still in the case. By mid 2001, they changed transfer cases, eliminating the CDL altogether. Realising their mistake, in 2004, they reintroduced the CDL transfer case, and changed the shifter so it would work the CDL.

Your 2000 has the nipple for the CDL, but no way from inside the vehicle to engage it. You will need to change the shifter, either to one from a DI, or to one from a 2004 DII. Do a search on this forum and you will find more than you need.

For the wobble you are feeling, I would put money on a wheel throwing a weight. It is a very good idea to check your front drive shaft for three grease-able u-joints as you have already learned, and have it rebuilt if it does not.

I would first take it back to where you got the tires and have the balance checked. I have a 2000 also, and I can tell if one wheel is 1/4 ounce off.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:51 PM
Drifting

Thats awesome info about the CDL, guess I know what Im researching tonight. Thanks, I'll have them check the wheel balances again. Then try the whole CDL thing also.