Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual-Camera Dash Cam

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 08:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Dual-Camera Dash Cam

Why I had my headliner out to fix the sunroof leaks, I ran the wires for a dual-camera dash cam,
Rexing V1P Pro Rexing V1P Pro

The rear camera was tough. I had to run the wire threw the rubber harness hose in the hinge area, and up through the 3rd brake light wire hole. It was worth it to get a clean installation. I like the picture-in-picture on the monitor, and that I can connect my phone to it via wifi and download clips. That thing above by rear view mirror is a
tire pressure sensor tire pressure sensor
that I also installed while I had everything apart.

The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 08:32 AM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

I mounted my rear camera in the same place, and discovered one issue with that position. If the camera has white illumination LEDs on it, you'll discover that in the dark they reflect off the glass and you can't see anything.
I solved the problem by taping over the LEDs and installing lights attached to my roofrack. They're powered by the right rear tail light, and switched via a relay using the reverse lights as the signal. That means that they only come on in reverse when the tail lights are on.

Old 11-12-2020, 12:11 PM
Mudding
Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a BlackVue dual camera set up in my D2 (and our cars). Won't drive without them.
Like the BlackVue design for being small and barely noticeable. The status LED lights can be configured for on or off. The rear camera LED is very discret and I like having it on while driving to let me know the system is working. I have it disabled in parking mode to not draw unwanted attention.

Did the same thing with running the cord between the cameras while the headliner was out. In our cars, I've run the wire along the headliner and pillars on the passenger side of the cars. You can tuck the cord away easy enough with some plastic interior trim tools.

Old 11-12-2020, 03:39 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by mollusc
I mounted my rear camera in the same place, and discovered one issue with that position. If the camera has white illumination LEDs on it, you'll discover that in the dark they reflect off the glass and you can't see anything.
I solved the problem by taping over the LEDs and installing lights attached to my roofrack. They're powered by the right rear tail light, and switched via a relay using the reverse lights as the signal. That means that they only come on in reverse when the tail lights are on.
Just to be clear, that is a rear-facing dash cam and not a backup camera. I installed a backup camera in the rear bumper, and have some auxiliary LED's on a relay that come on when in reverse for extra visibility in the dark.

Old 11-13-2020, 07:06 AM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

I understand that it's a dashcam, but it might suffer from the same issue of internal glare if it has built-in lights.
Looking at the Amazon listing, that doesn't seem to be the case though.

Old 11-13-2020, 07:09 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by mollusc
I understand that it's a dashcam, but it might suffer from the same issue of internal glare if it has built-in lights.
Looking at the Amazon listing, that doesn't seem to be the case though.
Thanks Mollusc. After your post I did go out and check and there are none. My guess is knowing dashcams are to be mounted on the inside, none probably have the IR lights. Thanks for the heads-up though.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:26 AM
Mudding
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TimInNova
Why I had my headliner out to fix the sunroof leaks, I ran the wires for a dual-camera dash cam, Rexing V1P Pro.

That is the darkest black backup light I've seen in years. All my trim is dark block, except the backup light housing which is dark grayish. I've spent hours trying to get it back to black.
What product did you use?

Old 02-16-2021, 10:08 AM
Rock Crawling

Just a can or black spray paint for plastic.
I did first hit it with a plastic primer spray:
Amazon Amazon

Old 02-16-2021, 10:16 AM
Mudding
Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by TimInNova
Just a can or black spray paint for plastic.
I did first hit it with a plastic primer spray: https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-C...3491683&sr=8-3
Painting makes sense. I simply can't get mine back to black no matter which product or technique used. I may give up and paint it as well, would be much faster and look way better.
Thank you for your reply. Your backup housing looks great.

Old 02-17-2021, 09:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,252 Likes on 672 Posts

FYI: I bought a new 3rd brake light plastic cover from Land Rover Classic Parts in UK for like 9 bucks plus shipping

The following users liked this post:
Xanthro (02-17-2021)