Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb question....jack stands

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 01:43 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb question....jack stands

ok, so finally ready to do some work on the truck tomorrow.....going to replace one of the rear air bags....

have a 2.25 ton floor jack (which i know won't cut it for the future if i need a higher lift, etc....), and 2 ton jack stands...

given i am only going to be supporting the rear right point - will this suffice? it seems like most get at least 3 ton stands - but i will not be working under the car or anything just yet....

basically, trying to see if i need to make another run to autozone in the morning or not....

thanks for the patience guys....

Old 08-06-2010, 06:07 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You will be fine.
The truck weighs 4500lbs total empty.
If you had 4 of those stands you could support the whole truck.
The only stupid question is the one not asked.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:11 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Yes, two ton is fine. I replied on the other forum as well.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:37 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I assume the rating is per pair so each jack stand supports 1.25 tons so yes you are fine in the back, in the front there is less of a safety margin. If I were getting under the truck I like to use multiple 6 ton (per pair) jacks stands plus the jack and maybe even a tire or something just in case.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Baja

No, it's not per pair. If you look on a jack stand label, it says " x Ton" not "x Ton per pair".
Jack stands aren't always used in pairs. I'd even argue that in most cases they aren't used in pairs.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:55 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
No, it's not per pair. If you look on a jack stand label, it says " x Ton" not "x Ton per pair".
Jack stands aren't always used in pairs. I'd even argue that in most cases they aren't used in pairs.
Sure it will say that on the jack and in the owners manual but many times on the box in big letters and in the product name they usually quote the per pair amount. I know my so called craftsman "3 ton" jack stands are 3 ton per pair and my harbor freight 6 ton jack stands are 6 ton per pair. I assume a snap on jack stand or other US made may be more forthcoming. I guess what I'm driving at is read the fine print on your equipment.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Baja

Well, it appears we are both right, or wrong. LOL
I did some checking and some companies rate them per pair, some rate them per each.

So looks like you're spot on saying read the fine print.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by lipadj46
Sure it will say that on the jack and in the owners manual but many times on the box in big letters and in the product name they usually quote the per pair amount. I know my so called craftsman "3 ton" jack stands are 3 ton per pair and my harbor freight 6 ton jack stands are 6 ton per pair. I assume a snap on jack stand or other US made may be more forthcoming. I guess what I'm driving at is read the fine print on your equipment.
I never knew that.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by catchthebig1
ok, so finally ready to do some work on the truck tomorrow.....going to replace one of the rear air bags....

have a 2.25 ton floor jack (which i know won't cut it for the future if i need a higher lift, etc....), and 2 ton jack stands...

given i am only going to be supporting the rear right point - will this suffice? it seems like most get at least 3 ton stands - but i will not be working under the car or anything just yet....

basically, trying to see if i need to make another run to autozone in the morning or not....

thanks for the patience guys....
Ignoring the Jack stand question................

ALWAYS replace suspension Items in PAIRS.. New air springs ride SIGNIFICANTLY different to old ones.........

Old 08-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agreed, this is a temporary fix as i contemplate a coil conversion, also the "new" air bag is actually off an old d2, so it is definitely a worn and not functioning like a new bag would, but i understand.....i will probably change out the other side later this week.

as a follow up question, my amber ace light just turned on, havent dealt with this before, but could the slight difference in air bag conditions be causing the ace to have a hard time working? i guess it would make sense if the "standard" ride height is slightly different on each side due to a non-matching pair of bags?

any input welcome, for now, i am glad the one side isnt riding at the well anymore....