Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Component Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 05:13 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Component Swap?

My 99 Disco II had a bad tachometer, so I bought a complete cluster from a 2001 DiscoII at a local salvage yard to replace it with. Replacing the cluster fixed the tachometer problem, but now the odometer is incorrect and the number is flashing. The salvage yard had told me that there would not be odometer issues since the vehicle mileage is stored on the BCU module behind the dash. They were obviously incorrect since the mileage that is now flashing is 81314 and my previous mileage was approximately 79270. The 2000 mile difference in the odometer readings really isnt a big issue, but the flashing mileage is really annoying.

I checked online and found the following info on www.disco2.com:

Whenever the ignition is turned from position I to position II, the instrument pack and the BCU compare their stored odometer values. If the instrument pack detects that the values are different, it will ‘flash’ the odometer. The odometer will continue to flash until the values have been synchronised. Both units continue to record any distance travelled by the vehicle, even when the display is flashing. If the need arises to change either the BCU or the instrument pack, the new unit will require synchronisation with the existing unit. The value can be synchronised only in an upward direction (the higher of the two values is stored in both units, with the one exception detailed in the next paragraph). Synchronisation of the values can be achieved using TestBook.

When I put the old cluster back, the mileage is still flashing even though I have not driven the vehicle an inch. Id rather not drive 5 hours to the nearest Land Rover dealership. Are there any other options to fix the problem? The salvage yard offered to give me the BCU from the '01 model - would this work?

-David Roberson

Old 04-27-2005, 05:28 AM
2nd Gear
Default Rovacom?

One possible fix that I found is to use a RovacomLite unit to reset the values. I think the RovacomLite would run about $400, but Id almost rather pay out the $ for the Rovacom then drive 10 hours roundtrip to have the stupid thing reset.

Any other ideas?

Old 04-28-2005, 02:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Rovacom?

im assuming Rovacom is some sort of ECU diagnosis tool. if so, you might as well. im willing to put money down that your going to need it in the future. if indeed you live nowhere near a dealer or british car shop.

besides, the dealer would still rape your wallet to even do something simple like that.

Old 04-29-2005, 12:24 AM
Winching
Default RE: Rovacom?

DP,

The flashing mileage is to indicate tampering with the system for theft reasons. It can not be reset for obvious reasons. Maybe try swapping out the tach from the original unit.