Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electrical gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 02:00 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical gremlins

I was driving back from silverthorn today after having takin my 2000 disco II off road for the first time since i bought in April. (It was awesome by the way to keep up with the ATVs in my 5000 pound rover) when i turned on the headlights on my way home the radio cut out and then came back on, it did the same thing when i turned on the front and rear fogs when it started to downpour. the radio also cuts out when the traction control kicks in, that has happened for as long as ive had the truck but i figured the TC was a high demand item and never thought much of it. but know im starting the think that it might not be common. also when i rolled up the windows with the engine shut off there wasnt enough power to keep the radar detector on and the dome lights dimmed more than they usually do.

I put a new battery in it when i was having issues about a month ago. I took it to advanced auto parts to figure out if it was the batt or the alt that was shot. the 16 year old that tested it said the alternator was delivering 0 volts. I didnt buy that as if the alt was shot it would still be delivering something, not 0 volts and the truck would stay running it just wouldn't start without a jump. so i put a new duralast battery in it and i havnt had any issues with it staring since. now i dont know what to do. the only other thing i can think of is the battery cables or replace the alternator after all . LR wants $800 for an alternator, i found the Bosch online for $250 but i dont know if its legit or not. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

dont know if it helps but its the 4.0 gas