Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical: headlamp short?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical: headlamp short?

Well I know the disco baby's got electrical issues. Aside from my friends the three amigos, and aside from the blown 40A fan fuse which I'll look into further tomorrow, she's having some headlamp issues.

Symptoms: left lamp out, right dim. No hi beams, I think. New bulbs just a few months ago. At that time I noticed the black wire on the right headlamp had melted the three-prong connector at some time in the past. Since all my fuses were OK, I took it for something the previous owner had dealt with. However, today, can't be sure but it looks like it's still getting hot there by the looks of the melted plastic.

Attempted remedy: Cleaned the ground points behind the left headlamp, and it again shone brightly. I've disconnected (in fact, it broke during that "procedure") the right headlamp connector so I don't know if cleaning those ground points made any difference on the right side.

Questions:

1. Any ideas what would cause the black wire to get hot at the connection point to the lamp? This is where the plastic connector got so hot that it melted a bit. Why would the fuse not blow?

2. Anyone familiar with that wiring harness? Easy or hard to follow as I look for some physical reason for a short.

3. Other than the dealer, anyone know a source for electrical connector parts for the headlamp? (both the spade bits crimped to the wires as well as the black thingy that holds all three in place).

Thanks!