Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine and a couple of trannys for sale in Utah

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Engine and a couple of trannys for sale in Utah

I have been searching for a new engine for my 2001 since March, when my engine had a melt down a few miles following a head gasket job. After a couple of bad engines, I found a 2002 with 16,000 miles on it. It was involved in a wreck in 2004 and has been sitting behind a body shop in Utah ever since. Had some very serious damage to the roof, took out the rear sunroof, windshield and all passenger side glass. You can imagine what 7 years of Utah springs, summers, falls and winters can do to an interior. I bought the engine and it will be installed in my 2001 next week.

The guy still had the tranny and transfer case. They were all still bolted up the engine. (I know, it doesn't have the center locking differential) He also has the driveshafts and axels and an assortment of interior and exterior parts. The front sunroof is still good. Has ignition, matching key and driver's door lock.

Coincidently, there is another guy in the same area selling the engine out of a 2002 Discovery with 140,000 miles on it. The motor is still in the truck and running for $500, he also has the tranny and transfer case. As I recall, the guy told me that he had had the truck for most of the miles and that it had no check engine lights or other issues. Sounds odd, but it is still in the truck and running.

The trucks were listed on KSL Classifieds. If you can't find them, send me a pm and I can send you the contact info. I have no affiliation with either of the sellers, other than buying the 16k mile motor. Shipping on a tranny or engine from that part of the world to the west coast or to the central time zone is around $150.

Disco Mike has been a great listening ear through this process. I am hoping that the motor drops in and runs without any other issues, With the money I have spent on this thing, I should have just pushed it into the Great Salt Lake, but that is water under the bridge as they say.

As an aside, we just bought a 2003 Toyota 4runner with a V8 and 4wd and sent it to college with the kids, I got tired of dealing with Discovery repairs for my college kids from 700 miles away. Averaged 23 mpg on the trip to Utah last weekend, out of an 4x4 V8, great vehicle, but it isn't a Land Rover....I will let you make your own assessment of what that means. All the best. Phil

2000 DII running great
2001 DII soon to be resurrected, I hope......

Old 09-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I will be glad to hear when your daughters D2 is finally up and running, for more then a day!!!!

Old 11-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny thing...Im looking for a motor right now! Couldnt locate the ad in the classified, can you find a nuber forme? Im really in the hunt foir a good solid motor for my 1999 DII

JAMES 828 5808 0001 THANKS.....

Old 11-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I checked on the guy selling the engine a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't find him. Let me see if I have anything in an old email and I will let you know. You might want to put an ad in the craigslist for an engine wanted. The guy was in Orem, Utah. You can also try KSL Classifieds. It seems to have more action in Utah than the Craigslist gets. Good Luck. Phil

2000 DII 140k miles for sale
2001 DII 95k miles with a fresh motor, sold it today, sorry to see it go, it was a great truck