Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine dies/ground lost while driving when warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 10:27 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Engine dies/ground lost while driving when warmed up

Hello,

Was driving yesterday - truck warmed up - engine died - wouldn't restart - lots of electrical power, starter trying hard, just won't fire the engine - tried for a couple hours - checked the fuel pump, relays, fuses, inertia switch, battery connections - then noticed no ground on the relays - started checking the ground - found the woven ground strap from the body had failed - not connected to anything - attached a new ground cable and fired right up.

Two short drives, working fine.

Driving home (longer drive) - truck warmed up - engine died - same thing - wouldn't restart - checked new ground cable - still attached.

Back at the shop now - others have suggested CPS, HOWEVER, the ground issue is still there - ground is good when the truck starts (it started this morning) - once the truck warms up the ground is lost and it won't start again. Wondering about the ECU since likely the ground has been iffy for a while during the failure of the ground strap...

SUGGESTIONS?!?! Thank you so much!

TDC
2001 LRD II SE

Old 04-02-2020, 11:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 95 Posts

I’m not sure you can rule out the CPS as an issue in addition to the ground issue, which you resolved. CPS failure symptom is crank but no start - usually this happens when the truck is hot, since heat is what kills them. Sounds like this is exactly what you’re seeing. Do you know the service history of the CPS? Mine was starting to go after about 170k, but not sure if it was replaced prior to my ownership.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:23 AM
Mudding

We haven't really resolved the ground issue though - we did yesterday - but now, even with a good replacement grounding cable from the head to the body, when the truck warms up and the engine cuts out and will not restart the ground is gone from the fuel pump relay and the spark - when you turn the key to on the fuel pump should prime but it doesn't even do that without trying to start it when the truck is warm because the pump has no ground - until the truck cools down again. I'm told the ground comes from the ECM and maybe the ECM was damaged with the failing grounding strap? Don't know what to do or how to test it with the ECM from my parts truck either...? Or should we do the CPS anyway even with all this evidence? No known service on the CPS. Rather lost...

Originally Posted by boston4
I’m not sure you can rule out the CPS as an issue in addition to the ground issue, which you resolved. CPS failure symptom is crank but no start - usually this happens when the truck is hot, since heat is what kills them. Sounds like this is exactly what you’re seeing. Do you know the service history of the CPS? Mine was starting to go after about 170k, but not sure if it was replaced prior to my ownership.

Old 04-02-2020, 12:17 PM
Mudding

Is it true I can just swap the ecu, bcu, and gauge cluster between any D2? Even a 7 to 5?

Old 04-02-2020, 12:17 PM
Mudding

We tried the water bottle trick - no help

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...e-water-42483/

Old 04-02-2020, 02:05 PM
Mudding

I see this thread

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...r-11608/page2/

discusses a source for ECUs, so I've emailed them in case I have to go down that route

Auto Computers for sale

I was also linked to this document, which I'm thinking pertains to a specific tool I don't have...?

https://www.scribd.com/document/40730324/Landrover-Sync

Back on the CPS/CKP possibility I see this thread that has some detailed instructions

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...000-dii-25610/

but most interestingly, seems like these guys are discussing something that sounds very much like my issue

https://www.landroversonly.com/threa...estions.87729/

Would love some helpful advice from you folks, thanks again!

Old 04-02-2020, 02:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 401 Likes on 278 Posts

Try a second ground, alternator mount (some hole there already) to fuse box neg, and check chassis grounds. Clean up grounds under kick panel near ECU and in engine bay. Start simple.......

Old 04-02-2020, 03:56 PM
Mudding

Thanks! Will do...also have a new CPS/CKP coming in sometime tomorrow to try...
Originally Posted by XRAD
Try a second ground, alternator mount (some hole there already) to fuse box neg, and check chassis grounds. Clean up grounds under kick panel near ECU and in engine bay. Start simple.......

Old 04-03-2020, 06:22 AM
Mudding

Is it very common for LRD ECUs to fail? Are they very sensitive to not having the main ground strap from the body to the engine block?

Old 04-03-2020, 06:36 AM
Mudding

Anyone know of any ECM/ECU programmers in Canada? Is re-programming mine or getting mine transferred to a replacement one the best way to go with ECU issues (assuming that turns out to be my issue)? Is there a way to be 100% sure my ECU is the issue?

Wondering about these guys? https://www.ecuprogram.com/contact

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Engine dies/ground lost while driving when warmed up