Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine rebuild... my turn to have fun!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:39 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Took it out for a test drive tonight. Didn't go far... just a few miles to make sure everything worked. Brakes worked fine. Had a lot of rust built up on the rotors from sitting. Tranny shifted perfect! Temp gauge stayed right in the middle. Fan clutch is constantly engaged (guess that's better than not working at all) 3 amigos on. No check engine light... yet. This thing runs better than my D1 Should have new radiator hose from AB on Thursday, then I'll go for another trip.

Hey vandev, how you making out with your project??

Eric

Old 08-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default slowly

Originally Posted by SDinDS
Took it out for a test drive tonight. Didn't go far... just a few miles to make sure everything worked. Brakes worked fine. Had a lot of rust built up on the rotors from sitting. Tranny shifted perfect! Temp gauge stayed right in the middle. Fan clutch is constantly engaged (guess that's better than not working at all) 3 amigos on. No check engine light... yet. This thing runs better than my D1 Should have new radiator hose from AB on Thursday, then I'll go for another trip.

Hey vandev, how you making out with your project??

Eric

Slowly, just finished stripping the block and had a stuck camshaft...two bearings are shot so will have to get new cam bearings, new cam, lifters,pushrods and all my rod bearings where showing copper...so all new crank and rod bearings, having crank ground and rebalanced...timing chain was streached..so timing chain, sprocket rebuild oil pump ...oh and i neeed to pressure leak test to make sure otherwise flanged liners....boy, i cant wait to finish so i can sell this POS....

I am praying for a hurricane so i can cut a tree and park it next to it...

Old 08-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Winching

Wouldn't it just be easier to find an engine in good condition if you're just going to sell it? How many miles are on yours? Sounds like the PO didn't do much maintenance if it's torn up that bad!!

Eric

Old 08-23-2010, 09:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default impossible

Wouldn't it just be easier to find an engine in good condition if you're just going to sell it? How many miles are on yours? Sounds like the PO didn't do much maintenance if it's torn up that bad!!

Eric

A LR engine in good condition...LOL....thats the funniest thing i have ever heard...They weren't in good condition when they left the factory....I am doing the work so it's just parts.... and i know it will be better than it left the factory....130k....i am also going to tear down the rocker arms as they are a proven source of low oil pressure... i mean whats left? cast a new block....The DII was defenatly made for soccer moms with rich husbands...I mean thats all i see driving them....

Well there are alot that where well maintained and fall apart, blow up and fall to Sh$it ...so being maintained is still a crap shoot..

Last edited by vandev; 08-23-2010 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:51 PM
Winching

"Good condition" meaning it was "running great when it was wrecked" aka junk yard motor. If you go that route, just let us know so no one on this forum buys it by mistake!!
If mine starts giving me any issues, I'll go down to Advance Auto and get a can of "Blue Devil Block Sealer", pour it in and get rid of it!!

Eric

Old 08-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Lol

"Good condition" meaning it was "running great when it was wrecked" aka junk yard motor. If you go that route, just let us know so no one on this forum buys it by mistake!!
If mine starts giving me any issues, I'll go down to Advance Auto and get a can of "Blue Devil Block Sealer", pour it in and get rid of it!!

Eric

Your evil...i could never do that even to a stranger....