Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Swap Discovery 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 01:29 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Swap Discovery 2

Bio

hello guys i am new to this forum but not new to forums i am a admin on a scuba diving site and a mod on a fishing site on the automotive side of forums i have been a active member of Honda-tech for 7 years and have created many meets and get togethers.. i have been a mechanic for 10 years mainly for Toyota/Honda cars and trucks i have owned many cars in my time but the Discovery i bought is my first landrover my plans with it is to tow my boat while my tundra is in the body shop and to take it off road for light to moderate trails. so far i have learned alot about the qwirks our LR's have and cant wait to start

last weekend i pulled the trigger on a 2000 Discovery that had a broken cam and busted connecting rod i got a fair deal on it and picked up the engine for a fair price .. but my car has SAI and the new engine doesent .. so my plan is to pull the heads off the old engine rebuild them and install it on the new block.. things also on the list to be replaced are water pump, thermostat, all hoses, spark plug wires,spark plugs drive belt, front and rear crank seals, complete head set, head bolts, toyota OEM red coolant, motor mounts, oil pan gasket is there anything i am not thinking of ? i have read of oil pump problems on the newer discoverys so should i change the oil pump? the only reason i didnt is the price of the part

i already purchaced the gear oil for the diffs and transfer case ujoints for the front and trans filter kit to be done once the rover is running again

the progress...

well i worked on it for about 2 hours each night this week and its ready to come out only thing holding me is the harness that goes to the tranny so tomorrow night when i get home i will take care of that and pull the motor out and then i will start on the head gaskets and rebuilding the head i hope to have the engine ready to drop back in by sunday

let me know any tips or constructive criticism you may have

-Ralph

Old 04-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Ralph, send me your tele number, may have some info that will say you some effort.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:22 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for calling me mike you gave me alot of good info and saved me $$ on not buying the oil pump

i did get the engine out tonight and i will start the teardown and rebuilding process over the next few days unfortunately the SAI tubes do bold on to the heads not the exhuast manifolds but its ok i planned on pulling the heads anyway to do the head gasket