Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine tick

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoNickBK
Right, but a mix of just distilled water and purple coolant enhancer?
That's a bad idea if you live in an area where freezing temps happen. Same with water wetter it doesn't add any protection against freezing. You will just be setting yourself up for heart burn.

Also Royal purple says the way he is running it is a bad idea. (Copy and paste below from the Royal Purple website)

Tech Tip: Important Precautions: Be sure your cooling system is working properly and that the radiator is free of blockage and corrosion before using Purple Ice. Antifreeze should be properly mixed and filled to manufacturers’ specifications. Distilled water and / or demineralized water should not be used if you elect to run a mixture of straight water and Purple Ice in your radiator. Contact Royal Purple’s Technical Support department if you are considering using Purple Ice with straight water or if you have previously used another brand of coolant additive. Call toll-free at 888-382-6300 or Email rpautotech@royalpurple.com.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:23 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

My first engine had a tick that sounded like a dwarf with a hammer inside my engine.. It was after at least one overheating, albeit not a catastrophic one. I can say from my heads that if it were a slipper liner it left no sign of it. But I never learned what it was.

Old 10-13-2018, 12:23 PM
Winching
Received 201 Likes on 100 Posts

My tick went away after I did the in-line t-stat mod. Temp never got over 194. I also replaced just about all the internals - except for the cam bearings. The tick came back after a couple of years. Pinned the sleeves about six months ago. Crazy quiet the first time I fired it up after pinning - and still is.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 440 Likes on 258 Posts

How did you pin the sleeves?

Old 10-16-2018, 12:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

There is a ton of threads like this. After going through most of them and based on my experience, your tick will fall into one of the following categories:

1. Unexplained. The engine will run and tick for years and miles.
2. Oil-related stuff that makes lifters and rocker arms get noisy. That was my case and a few aggressive oil changes seemed to solve the issue.
3. Something that is seriously screwed up, e.g., cylinder sleeve or a walking cam bearing.

The only thing you can do now is figure out where your engine falls.

Old 10-16-2018, 12:28 PM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Discorama
How did you pin the sleeves?
Drill and tap a hole through the block into the bottom of each sleeve. Put a bolt in, and make sure it's just below being flush with the sleeve, so the pistons don't hit them.
Use loc-tite, and I used allen heads with safety wire holes, and wired them so they can't back out.
It's easy with the engine out(how we did mine).
More work with the engine in, just because of not alot of room to work, and you'll need a right angle drill.
There is a detailed thread on it here somewhere.

Old 10-17-2018, 07:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,403 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Originally Posted by redwhitekat
But once I installed the Tstat it went away so I'm not sure.
That usually indicates it was a slipped sleeve. Also - cam bearing or oil pump related ticks are a result of low oil pressure, easily tested without dis-assembling the engine.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah, you pretty much have to get an oil gauge with all Discos.

One thing that we should not discount is properties of oil at different temperatures. As you lower the operating temperature of the engine, oil won't be as hot. You are likely to enjoy more viscosity and better oil pressure. Another thing to watch out for is the condition of old oil when you do oil changes. I've had some noises, changed oil aggressively, and noticed that the oil was dirty and pretty much shot. That was when I just got the car. Now with oil changes about every 2,000 miles, all is well. My Landy gives the lowest amount of noise on fresh Rotella T4 with a pint of Lucas or a pint of MMO.

Whatever you do--do not panic. While slipped liners may happen, there are many reasons for noisy, 14+ year old engines designed on the blueprint of a dated platform.

The following users liked this post:
akapeller (01-31-2019)