Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 01:27 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty?

I need some advice, I have a 2003 Disco with 24K miles (have owned since new), the warranty expired last week. Should I buy an extended warranty? What types of things did you have happen around 24K? I have not had any problems with it except the replacement of the u joints about 3 months ago. Thanks!

Old 09-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Extended Warranty?

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to get a Land Rover extended warranty, would would have had to get it before thefactory one expired, and you're a week late. Second, search it right cause a lot of people spend good money on non-Rover warranties, and cannot get payment when something breaks.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:26 PM
2nd Gear

I spoke with my dealer and I can extend the warranty thru them even AFTER my warranty expires, it will cost more and I have to pay for an inspection to make sure the car is mechnically sound. But thanks for the input...my question is does anyone who has a Disco with this little mileage and has owned it since day one (12 miles) recommned the warranty or do you think that my chances of something drastic happening are slim to none. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:08 PM
Mudding

The extended warranty that the dealers sell is not a factory warranty (not bumper to bumper)and they are not land rover co's,in fact they are more like an insurance policy, If something they cover (read the fine print) is actually diagnosed correctly , they send out an adjuster to micro manage the claim,did I mention used parts ? , and they dont care how long it takes, most likley no loaner or rental car for down time is covered. no wear items are covered and if service history is not in order or if the adjuster has any suspicion of neglect or abuse they quickly decline any repairs.If your head gaskets are leaking they search for cooling system leaks, and can decline the repair due to lack of maint if a hose needed replacement or was damaged from a road hazard.
Lots of people still buy these policies and they might actually get some satisfaction out of them , but I've seen more bad than good.
Bottom line; if you maintain your car better than your maint. books suggested intervals (ie) oil changes every 3k miles etc you have a pretty good shot at never needing an extended policy.
Also dont forget to find out the name of the coverage company and go on line to see if they have a good record with coustomers!
Do your homework or you might get shafted !

Old 09-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with doing your homework on the ext. warranty, but think your should do it, unless you are really handy. Head gaskets are weak on these trucks, might go at 50K, might never go. The 03's had a problem with oil pumps in the beginning, causing you to lose the engine. The head gaskets are about $1500, so if you buy a warranty for that, money well spent. I would get one, but read the fine print. If you have any questions, post. There have been several discussions about Ext warranties, do a search and read what others have had to say....

Cheers

Old 09-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hemmm, was thinking this over again, and I guess it depends on how long and how much. Being the original owner, no one but you knows this truck better. with this little mileage at this age, chances are that you'll be only going some 20000 miles in the next 3 years or so. The chances of you having to spend 3 to 4 thousand dollars on the truck until then are as far as I'm concerned extremely slim, unless the oil pump goes and so does the engine. besides that, I don't see what could cause as much damage as the price of the extended warranty. If you change your u-joints for greasable ones and keep on taking care of the truck, I think I'd live without the warranty. You could even play super safe and get a new oil pump and have it installed now for peace of mindand forstill a lot less than the price of the warranty.